• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anyone else considering permiedom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
    Well said +1! , I also think it depends on your CV, These questions will guide you..

is your CV readable in 4 Seconds?
    Do you have your Key skills "Looking" at the readers face at first glance?
    Do you have ALL the key words in your CV agencies are looking for?
    Do you have just one generic CV? or 20 Different (Like me lol)
    4 seconds isnt enough to scan read the first sentence on a cv. I think this impression agents have 30 seconds to read your cv is overplayed a lot, especially when they use word searches to narrow the list down.

If you are in a sector in the current market that is stagnant, having the best cv may not necessarily cut it. If there are no jobs being advertised, there's nothing you can apply for. In these circumstances your best shot is regular contact with a few agents.

You only have to look at adverts of jobswerve that state;

Rate £200 a day or less
    Local candidate preferred
    ISTQB \ ISEB Intermediate (but practitioner qualification preferred)
    Essential skills list longer than your arm
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
      I went permy recently money ok is but I am regretting it, I never worked so hard in my life, not sure if I've been unlucky with the employer or I had it easy too as a contrator. I'm stuck on 3 months notice though and they would keep me to it, also think it would be hard to explain why I left a good role with a fancy title within the year. I've had a lot of call about contract work though so option to go back is there but think I will have to stick this out for bit longer.
      Is 3 month notice period standard. If I go perm will I be hit with similar? Bit awkward but manageable. Just start looking about 6 weeks out. Ifyou leave after 2 months of the notice what would they do? Surely just pro rata pay and thats the end of it, or some kind of pay forfeit for the 3 months?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
        Is 3 month notice period standard. If I go perm will I be hit with similar? Bit awkward but manageable. Just start looking about 6 weeks out. Ifyou leave after 2 months of the notice what would they do? Surely just pro rata pay and thats the end of it, or some kind of pay forfeit for the 3 months?
        Its not standard, but common in the financial sector. One has to deal with it the same way one deals with any notice period, depending on the workload, the manager, employer etc, one can negotiate an early release sometimes, but it all depends on the situation.

Comment

I went down the middle road - was contracting and getting pissed of with the clientco and had figured I'd learnt all I could, and then a role came up with the Reserve Bank (here in Oz) that was fixed term for one year (like a permy). At first I was a bit hesitant, but went along for the interview anyway. The role seemed like a step forward and the people were nice and I thought 'meh, it's only a year'. I hesitated a bit which actually worked in my favour - the bank offered me another $5000 to help me make up my mind!

So... two years here at the bank this month due to extensions. Just been extended to 30 September and that appears to be it. Project finishes in August.

Good move? Well I got paid 9% superannuation on top of my salary, have had *tons* of paid holidays (being paid while on holiday is certainly compelling) and I still have over 5 weeks leave stored up. The standard day is 7 hours but I elected to do an extra 22 minutes a day which gives me an extra day off a month, which I can save up to use for holidays. I've learnt a ton of stuff and in the downtimes no-one minds you studying for certs. There is cheap healthcare and a subsidised restaurant. I've saved probably about the same as I did in the year or two prior to the role when I was contracting, and there's no accounting or paperwork or tax hassles. The pay arrives in my account every fortnight. Pay increases are guaranteed every year in line with inflation (actually got over 5%). No agents. Life is certainly simpler!

When i walk out I'll pocket over 13 grand in final salary and holiday pay, which leaves me a chunk of change for a nice holiday to the UK, where I might test the contractor market again.

Comment

Got a call from the agent \ recruiter yesterday about the permie role I've applied for. Must admit, its been over a week since I last spoke to him and tried to contact him earlier this week for news as I pressume the trail had gone cold.

He said Im deffo in the mix, the company dont have a problem with my past contracting history and he's having further talks when the Programme Manager returns from holiday on Monday.

Might be spinning me along but I dont see why when he could just ignore me. So, Im still in the pot for this role which is close to home and a good package for my part of the country. Still applying for contracts and had a telephone interview yesterday which hopefully progresses to a face to face next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
              I went down the middle road - was contracting and getting pissed of with the clientco and had figured I'd learnt all I could, and then a role came up with the Reserve Bank (here in Oz) that was fixed term for one year (like a permy). At first I was a bit hesitant, but went along for the interview anyway. The role seemed like a step forward and the people were nice and I thought 'meh, it's only a year'. I hesitated a bit which actually worked in my favour - the bank offered me another $5000 to help me make up my mind!

So... two years here at the bank this month due to extensions. Just been extended to 30 September and that appears to be it. Project finishes in August.

Good move? Well I got paid 9% superannuation on top of my salary, have had *tons* of paid holidays (being paid while on holiday is certainly compelling) and I still have over 5 weeks leave stored up. The standard day is 7 hours but I elected to do an extra 22 minutes a day which gives me an extra day off a month, which I can save up to use for holidays. I've learnt a ton of stuff and in the downtimes no-one minds you studying for certs. There is cheap healthcare and a subsidised restaurant. I've saved probably about the same as I did in the year or two prior to the role when I was contracting, and there's no accounting or paperwork or tax hassles. The pay arrives in my account every fortnight. Pay increases are guaranteed every year in line with inflation (actually got over 5%). No agents. Life is certainly simpler!

When i walk out I'll pocket over 13 grand in final salary and holiday pay, which leaves me a chunk of change for a nice holiday to the UK, where I might test the contractor market again.
              Well to be honest, it depends on the Annual rate for Permi . and 13 grand ? would that be £ or $ .

I dont think i would consider permi just yet mayb until i have a wife and 3 kids

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Got a call from the agent \ recruiter yesterday about the permie role I've applied for. Must admit, its been over a week since I last spoke to him and tried to contact him earlier this week for news as I pressume the trail had gone cold.

He said Im deffo in the mix, the company dont have a problem with my past contracting history and he's having further talks when the Programme Manager returns from holiday on Monday.

Might be spinning me along but I dont see why when he could just ignore me. So, Im still in the pot for this role which is close to home and a good package for my part of the country. Still applying for contracts and had a telephone interview yesterday which hopefully progresses to a face to face next week.
                Hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I´ve been up for a permie role for several weeks now, it´s a slow process every other week some manager pops his head up and asks for a further interview.

Good luck, I think permie is a good option, I don´t see the contractor market suddenly turning. I think you would have to be prepared for a low rate and travel expenses.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Hope it works out.
                    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I´ve been up for a permie role for several weeks now, it´s a slow process every other week some manager pops his head up and asks for a further interview.

Good luck, I think permie is a good option, I don´t see the contractor market suddenly turning. I think you would have to be prepared for a low rate and travel expenses.
                    Thanks both.

Im still up for a contract and although the rate is just over £350 a day, the location is expensive with accommodation circa £70 a night. The good point is, travel would be by train and the office is only a 10 minute walk away from the station. Accommodation is again within 15 minute walk so, no need for the car meaning even if Monday is an early start, you can snooze on the train.

But TBH, I think the testing sector is flooded with bob's, testing bodyshops and, every BA tom dick and harry thinking they can do a thorough testing job.

This permie role is on my doorstep and is looking more and more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Tell me about it. Had 1st interview. Then two phone interviews. Just waiting for final phone interview.

Comment

Working...
                      X