• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do - Contract Finishes tmrw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Need some advice my contract is due to finish tmrw and its been a good gig 15mnths+ - client likes my work and agency to date has been taking 22% of my day rate. They are not budging on this margin even though I came in on a initial 3 month contract. I may have another renewal on the cards but want to renegotiate my rate with agent... the client don't have the budget to up my rate and therefore was thinking the agency could. However they are unwilling to budge.

This is most dissapointing as there appears to be no flexibility on their front even though I have negotiated all renewals... I hardly ever hear from the agency unless the contract is coming to an end and they want a catch up. I am now thinking do I ditch the agency and look elsewhere as I am sick of the £100+ they are making off me everyday for doing very very little. I am having to do all the leg work and its frustrating.

To top it all off I have just discovered a colleague (contractor) is on more more money then me even though we do the same type of work. I am tired of being fleeced and I am happy to walk away but I will leave with very little handover and the project will suffer and ultimately the public who use the service. I hate the situation I am in.
    Never Never Never give up

How very unprofessional. The client will be well rid of you with that attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      How very unprofessional. The client will be well rid of you with that attitude.
      Sorry with what attitude - to walk away? Isn't it unprofessional for agency to leave it to the last week... I've been as professional as possible having stuck through the project

Comment

How much does the client want you? Can they replace you easily enough?

You could just say "sod it, I'm off" and see who blinks first.

If the pimp won't negotiate then you can stay, keep invoicing, or take a big risk and walk. Big Warchest? It's cold on the bench.

Good Luck.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

A) Forget what the other contractor is a on. It is non of your business and frankly it is your own fault.

B) Negotiate harder.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            A) Forget what the other contractor is a on. It is non of your business and frankly it is your own fault.

B) Negotiate harder.
            TRUE - lets go with B.... i do luckily have a good warchest

Comment

see comments

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              How much does the client want you?

They want me to stay

Can they replace you easily enough?

Not without a decent handover or they will look silly when something goes wrong. I'm a specilalist in my field

You could just say "sod it, I'm off" and see who blinks first.

If the pimp won't negotiate then you can stay, keep invoicing, or take a big risk and walk. Big Warchest? It's cold on the bench.

Good Luck.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

B) Negotiate harder.
                This^

And...

C) Be prepared to be shown the door. Might not come to that, but often does. Your call.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

22% seems high, especially after 15 months, call their bluff if you can afford to walk...

Comment

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post
                    Hello

Need some advice my contract is due to finish tmrw and its been a good gig 15mnths+ - client likes my work and agency to date has been taking 22% of my day rate. They are not budging on this margin even though I came in on a initial 3 month contract. I may have another renewal on the cards but want to renegotiate my rate with agent... the client don't have the budget to up my rate and therefore was thinking the agency could. However they are unwilling to budge.

This is most dissapointing as there appears to be no flexibility on their front even though I have negotiated all renewals... I hardly ever hear from the agency unless the contract is coming to an end and they want a catch up. I am now thinking do I ditch the agency and look elsewhere as I am sick of the £100+ they are making off me everyday for doing very very little. I am having to do all the leg work and its frustrating.

To top it all off I have just discovered a colleague (contractor) is on more more money then me even though we do the same type of work. I am tired of being fleeced and I am happy to walk away but I will leave with very little handover and the project will suffer and ultimately the public who use the service. I hate the situation I am in.
                    To be fair, not sure the agency cut or the other contractors rate is relevant. Don't agree with stek but at the end of the day if you aint happy with the rate, you might have to walk out to prove a point and take the risk.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X