• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do not give venn group references!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went for a role with Venn Group at a financial institute - they said because it's that sector I had to give 5 years of refs, which is fair enough. The checked all the refs before the interview, which was fine, and I didn't get the job, also fine.

Now I've just found out they've been cold calling my old clients on the reference list touting for work!

Shoddy, shoddy practice, the kind of practice which gives recruitment consultants a bad name.

Wanna buy some magic beans?

Comment

No tulip sherlock... what did you think they were going to do with them. It is standard practice by the agents, they are a sales set up after all. I think some of the blame here is on the naivity of the contractor... I mean...5 references??? Come on... you think that is normal?

I am guessing you have also missed the sticky thread on agents wanting references at the top of this very forum with 62 pages of the same????
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nope, 15 yrs contracting, so no noob - worked for a number of banks, so the 5 yrs refs is not new to me,

Just amazed by the flagrancy from such an established agency.

Naming and shaming, that's all

Comment

Re: Do not give venn group references!

Originally posted by LouC View Post
          Nope, 15 yrs contracting, so no noob - worked for a number of banks, so the 5 yrs refs is not new to me,

Just amazed by the flagrancy from such an established agency.

Naming and shaming, that's all
          15 years in banking? Then you should know that the banks often do their "own" referencing checks rather than the pimp....

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
          B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
            15 years in banking? Then you should know that the banks often do their "own" referencing checks rather than the pimp....

That's credit referencing tho init?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              That's credit referencing tho init?
              Indeed it is, and the only additional referencing that should occur compared to a non finance contract.

B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post

I don't think this is true. If you Opt In to a contract the agency has an obligation to check references as well as qualifications. In theory it wouldn't be unreasonable for an agent to check references of people they are putting forward as well as the client doing them. Getting quality, referenced checked professionals for the client is the agents job.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I don't think this is true. If you Opt In to a contract the agency has an obligation to check references as well as qualifications. In theory it wouldn't be unreasonable for an agent to check references of people they are putting forward as well as the client doing them. Getting quality, referenced checked professionals for the client is the agents job.
                  The references the agency has to check don't actually have to be from former clients.

After all like with permies your reference can just say x worked here from a date to b date.

So they may as well be from your previous agencies.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    A good point for the opt-in crowd.

B00med!

Comment

Working...
                    X