• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feel like agency is tricking me..........not a good start to IR35....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mosaslop View Post
    Right - and this is the result i've had using other calculators, but it makes zero sense.
    I've made a query with a few umbrella companies, and this is what parasol gave me:

now........why is that absolutely miles better than what these calculators are saying?
    Could be out of date with tax levels, badly written, don't take other factors in the umbrellas do and so on. They are only a guide at the best of times and as you have found out are no replacement for speaking to the professionals...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Right - and this is the result i've had using other calculators, but it makes zero sense.
      I've made a query with a few umbrella companies, and this is what parasol gave me:

now........why is that absolutely miles better than what these calculators are saying?
      The calculator is based on 44 weeks per year. If you take Parasol's weekly figure and multiply by 44, the figures are much closer. Each calculator will assume different expenses etc.

Comment

Because they fudge the numbers to make it look like you will somehow have a better take home pay from this umbrella company compared to others. The fact is that if you use a PAYE umbrella and pay the correct amount of tax then your take home pay will be exactly the same regardless of which umbrella company you use.

Try this calculator
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Because they fudge the numbers to make it look like you will somehow have a better take home pay from this umbrella company compared to others. The fact is that if you use a PAYE umbrella and pay the correct amount of tax then your take home pay will be exactly the same regardless of which umbrella company you use.

Try this calculator
          Yup. Any fudging of the numbers, run a mile because, umbrella fees aside (which shouldn't cause much variation and should be identified upfront), they're all playing by the same rules w/r to employer and employee taxes and expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Agreed. If I was the OP I'd talk to Lisa about going Umbrella. Running a Ltd is a lot of hassle for £140 a day. Infact at that rate I'd prefer umbrella and less hassle.
            As it's your first contract and you seem to be floundering, I totally agree with the above.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Mosaslop.
              You claim to be an accountant (or at least part qualified!) according to the post Cojak locked.
              Then for goodness sakes start looking at the different figures - and understanding them. They are not that difficult - they are just numbers and percentages.
              On that rate, for a 6 month contract there is not real gain in going limited - you are far better off being umbrella
              If they are paying you £X per day under umbrella you will HAVE to pay employers NIC.
              You will be eligible for almost no expenses - lunch is not an option despite what parasol will tell you, and mileage is only an option if you run a second contract through the umbrella - so £97 of expenses a week is not going to happen. That is how / why the figures are fudged.
              Now please just go to ContractorUmbrella who will keep you on the straight and narrow and not let you claim anything silly (which a number of other umbrellas will) and are really good and helpful.
              Then please, before you continue - go and read all the stuff here - then go to SJD, then go to ContractorUmbrellas site and read all the free stuff there as well. Oh and on PCG and the stuff at the top here and on the stickys. When you have understood it come back - you will be a lot more knowledgeable - everything you need is there. We know - because many of us learnt most of it off these places.
              If you need some basic contractor accounting lessons I am sure I can provide them - PM me and I will tell you my charges!

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
                Mosaslop.
                You claim to be an accountant (or at least part qualified!) according to the post Cojak locked.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I think that's a little harsh
                Sorry NLUK - comment retracted.

Comment

£140 a day.... Hmmm.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
                    You will be eligible for almost no expenses - lunch is not an option
                    Why do you say that?
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I guess that is why this poster is on £140 a day lol....
                      Why choose to get personal on this? See here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-forums.html

Comment

Working...
                      X