• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to handle baby due in the middle of contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    And don't put baby in a corner.

Nobody does that.
    ^

This right here! Best thing I've read on the forum for at least a year!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
    B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      And don't put baby in a corner.

Nobody does that.
      What about in a drawer - don't they do that in Finland or Norway or somewhere?
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        What about in a drawer - don't they do that in Finland or Norway or somewhere?
        Ah, you will be referring to the 'cardboard box' in Finland....not to mention the leaving outside in sub-zero temps.
        Actually, the cardboard box is Government supplied, along with a whole load of baby goodies, to all new Mums - nice thing, and the idea is that the box is a temporary crib when the baby is really small too, as it is prevents baby rolling off somewhere/getting stuck face down on a sofa and so on.

latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

I had a baby due 2 weeks into my first contract and I told the agenct all about it and asked her to ensure that I could have 2 weeks off for it. She spoke to the client and confirmed it was fine.

On my first day I emailed the manager and clarified the exact dates - he had no idea what I was talking about, the agent had not said anything to him. Luckily he did not mind enough to bin me!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I had a baby due 2 weeks into my first contract and I told the agenct all about it and asked her to ensure that I could have 2 weeks off for it. She spoke to the client and confirmed it was fine.

On my first day I emailed the manager and clarified the exact dates - he had no idea what I was talking about, the agent had not said anything to him. Luckily he did not mind enough to bin me!
            I reckon in this case agent thought oh tulipe the clients not going to like this. I don't want to risk my commission so if it all kicks off when it comes to light I'll blame the contractor.

What if the client had said sorry you cant have time off LOL?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Offer them a 2 month contract instead of a 3 month one, and say you won't be available for x weeks after that, but will be able to start another contract then. That is what I have done in similar circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                What if the client had said sorry you cant have time off LOL?
                Time off??
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Postpone the birth, until after the end of the contract.
                  My wee girl was ever so clever to wait for daddy to finish on the Friday and then she arrived on the Saturday night.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by sharper1 View Post
                    Should I be upfront about the situation or keep quiet then hand my notice in as the due date approaches?
                    No, don't ditch a perfectly good contract! Just tell them that you are planning to take a few weeks off around the time of the birth and plan around it.

Hell, I took a 6 week holiday in the middle of a contract once. Came back and picked up where I left off, it was great because I knew I had a nice contract to come back to.

It's also worth having a stable contract when you have a young child around because you are going to have a few difficult nights and days.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I've also got another little bundle of joy due in November. I've got a good enough relationship with the client to be fairly flexible about taking time off, so they won't mind me having a week off as long as I'm at least contactable.

I think in the Fathers case, as long as your not planning on taking 6 months off, they should understand that there might be the odd day here and there that you may be off during the contract, besides, if your not in, they are not paying you, so saving them a couple of quid won't hurt I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X