• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to handle baby due in the middle of contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to handle baby due in the middle of contract?

Hey all, here's a situation I'd be keen to get some advice on how to handle - I'm sure it's a fairly common occurrence.

We have a baby due in November and obviously I want to be around for the birth and at home for a few weeks after. If I was about to start a new 3 month contract how should I handle the situation if they offer me another 3 months (taking me past November) - or alternatively what if the initial was for 6 months to start with?

Should I be upfront about the situation or keep quiet then hand my notice in as the due date approaches?

Originally posted by sharper1 View Post
    Hey all, here's a situation I'd be keen to get some advice on how to handle - I'm sure it's a fairly common occurrence.

We have a baby due in November and obviously I want to be around for the birth and at home for a few weeks after. If I was about to start a new 3 month contract how should I handle the situation if they offer me another 3 months (taking me past November) - or alternatively what if the initial was for 6 months to start with?

Should I be upfront about the situation or keep quiet then hand my notice in as the due date approaches?
    Would the bump be noticeable yet?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Tell them you have some leave planned. If they ask further, then explain that it's maternity / paternity leave. If it's going to be a problem, you could make yourself available part-time, or from home, or available for emergency phone calls.

I started my first contract in April, baby arrived end of June - I told them up front that I'd be taking leave then, and had a couple of calls from them to manage the release process while I wasn't working, but that was it.

There's not much difference between taking a holiday, is there, apart from not having a definite start date.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Given the OP says they want to be around for the birth, rather than they have to be, I guess they are the father.

If you are being offered a contract now, and it's 3 months - don't bother mentioning until renewal time.
        If you are being offered a 6 month contract, then personally I would take it and mention around month 2-3 that you'll be unavailable for a couple of weeks during Nov, unless they specifically ask if you have any holiday planned.

Take your time off after the contract, it'll all be a haze of no sleep, vom and poo for the 1st few weeks anyway.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          Given the OP says they want to be around for the birth, rather than they have to be, I guess they are the father.

Good point - the bump question is irrelevant then !

Comment

Postpone the birth, until after the end of the contract.

Just be honest about the situation and take the necessary time off.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              Good point - the bump question is irrelevant then !
              Yep, should have mentioned I'm the father!

Good advice all, thanks.

Comment

If they don't ask don't tell them. Also, don't even bother telling them unless its within the contract period.

Then, a month or so in advance, TELL them of your plans....

I had hassle recently with my client and their piss poor planning. Project slipped by months and they ended up having to shoehorn it in just before the birth. Then, apparently, I was the one that was awkward because I said I was unavailable for a week. In the end, I said, tough I told you about this, so not my problem.

Not as if I could change the date or anything.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yep, should have mentioned I'm the father!

Good advice all, thanks.
                  Just make sure you handle baby "with care" ;-) good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    Just make sure you handle baby "with care" ;-) good luck!
                    And don't put baby in a corner.

Nobody does that.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X