• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best ways of NOT work you notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ways of NOT work you notice?

I need to leave my current contract asap but have a 4 week notice period, (theirs is 1 week). I could really do with finishing this one next Friday (12th) to start a new one the following week.

What are the best/any ways around not working the full notice term without losing my 2 weeks of lieu pay?

Thanks.

Negotiation.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by 988414 View Post
      I need to leave my current contract asap but have a 4 week notice period, (theirs is 1 week). I could really do with finishing this one next Friday (12th) to start a new one the following week.

What are the best/any ways around not working the full notice term without losing my 2 weeks of lieu pay?

Thanks.
      Firstly, you were never going to get the lieu pay if you don't work it. Period. Secondly you can kiss it goodbye if you are going to breach contract. Why should they honour any payment if you don't? It becomes invalid.

You could quite possibly be sued for breach of contract as well so could be opening yourself to penalty charges.

Taking the legalities out of it you are going to have to fight for any money that the agent owes you for time already worked. If you are going to dick them about you can bet your bottom dollar they will do the same to you.

Don't take this type of thing lightly and expect the worst. If you get away with a big of from the agent you have done well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 988414 View Post

Thanks.
        Sickie?

Of course, expect grief from agent.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

How about one of:

Agree a holiday. Then give notice.
          Sickie.
          Arrange a subbie but offer to let them terminate early.
          Stop washing.

Comment

Next Friday, go into the machine room. There will be a big red button on the wall. Press it. Hey presto, you're out of contract.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Sickie?

Of course, expect grief from agent.
              Typical disguised permie thinking.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                How about one of:

Agree a holiday. Then give notice.
                Sickie.
                Arrange a subbie but offer to let them terminate early.
                Stop washing.
                This.
                They will be relieved that you're offering to let yourself go, unlike most permies who stay on sick leave for extened periods while staying on payroll...

Comment

Just tell them you'll be exercising your right to send a subbie. They'll soon bend over...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It's getting messy and there is a threat of legal action!!!!

I'm going to got for the subbie suggestion approach.

Comment

Working...
                    X