• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract reviews etc before starting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract reviews etc before starting

Same old same old. Client wants someone to start like NOW. Agent obviously wants they're money coming in.

2 month contract. How far would you push it in delaying start waiting for contract review (BTW - how long do QDOS take these days?)?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Same old same old. Client wants someone to start like NOW. Agent obviously wants they're money coming in.

2 month contract. How far would you push it in delaying start waiting for contract review (BTW - how long do QDOS take these days?)?
    Last time I paid an extra £50 for a 24-hour turnaround on the QDOS contract review.

So you could delay start by 24 to 48 hours (subject to the contract coming back OK).
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Same old same old. Client wants someone to start like NOW. Agent obviously wants their money coming in.

the one week service was taking 4 days last week and I was politing hassling to avoid it being 5 days.

Your best bet would be to go for the express service.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

We have just been through this with a newbie... They might want it now now but it will take much longer to drop you and find someone else instead of waiting the 3 or 4 days you need. Cards are in your hand. It's business. No one would deny you the time to get your legal tulip in order before you start. The only party making an issue about it is you.

QDOS will do it next day if you speak to them nicely.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or you could decide it's only a two month contract and get on with it without a review.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            the one week service was taking 4 days last week and I was politing hassling to avoid it being 5 days.

Your best bet would be to go for the express service.
            Is that the standard service now - 4 days?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Or you could decide it's only a two month contract and get on with it without a review.
              Wrong attitude to have.

Some contracts are initiall for a short period and then are extended to be longer or the client wants to use you again a few months down the line.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Wrong attitude to have.

Some contracts are initiall for a short period and then are extended to be longer or the client wants to use you again a few months down the line.
                Good point. Which is why I'd rather get it sorted up front.

Comment

If it's two months with no prospect of an extension, then I'd read the contract carefully, maybe ask my accountant to have a quick look, and then probably risk it anyway.

If there's a chance of extension, then speak to Qdos and see if you can pay more to get it done quickly if you really want it done that quickly.

Generally, though, I'd remember that for IR35, it's the reality rather than the written word which takes precedence, and the Qdos check is only looking from an IR35 perspective.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    If it's two months with no prospect of an extension, then I'd read the contract carefully, maybe ask my accountant to have a quick look, and then probably risk it anyway.

If there's a chance of extension, then speak to Qdos and see if you can pay more to get it done quickly if you really want it done that quickly.

Generally, though, I'd remember that for IR35, it's the reality rather than the written word which takes precedence, and the Qdos check is only looking from an IR35 perspective.
                    You mean 'from a contract perspective'? I believe the paid QDOS option does look in to working practices. Only the free ones are a simple contract clause check. They will look at associated documentation as well but from what I remember they didn't ask anything about working practices last time I used one of my free checks.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X