• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Pre-employment Screening Credit File

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Pre-employment Screening Credit File

I am in a dilemma. I have been out of work for 2 and a half years due to ill health. I have now received a contracting offer with one of the top 3 UK Banks. I have a couple of small satisfied defaults 5yrs and some months old, and a big one not satisfied that I'm paying off monthly. I have started filling in the forms but, I don't know whether to declare the ones satisfied, I will however declare the one outstanding.

I've read a few threads here regarding this, I'm wondering if I should bother at all because it seems like it's a guaranteed refusal if you have an outstanding default. I am desperate as I really need to start earning, being on benefits is very demoralizing. Any advice is helpful. Cheers guys

First of all congratulations on the new position.

Secondly, in a situation like this I'd say that honesty is the best policy. If information is shown on your credit file and the screening is requesting it explicitly then it should be declared.

Check the wording carefully to see what they're looking for. Are they only looking for relevant information within the last 5 years etc? In that case, anything over 5 years old probably wouldn't be eligible for inclusion.

You may want to consider getting online to your credit file to see what shows up publicly as this is what their screening company will be looking at and comparing with. Again, you can find out which credit agency they look at (the main ones are Experian and Equifax) and choose your online access accordingly.

A significant part of the application process is checking whether what you've declared matches the information that's publicly available. If they pick up discrepancies or inconsistencies then this is probably more damaging than declaring previous defaults that have been satisfied long ago.

Comment

They will also want evidence of what you have been doing whilst not in employment for any period. Anything as simple as current account statements will do. They just want to make sure you have been detained at HM's pleasure etc..

They are not checking your credit history to see if you are a sparkling example of the public and eligible for loans/mortgages. They are looking to see if you are a risk to their systems and if you are likely to abuse their systems to fix problems in your financial situation. If you can handle your money effectively then you are fine. If you are the type that money just slips through your fingers and you can't manage it properly then you probably won't get the gig.

Try what BHicks says and then go for it. Nothing to lose.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        They are not checking your credit history to see if you are a sparkling example of the public and eligible for loans/mortgages. They are looking to see if you are a risk to their systems and if you are likely to abuse their systems to fix problems in your financial situation.

WHS

A basic credit check will tell them about your defaults. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the bank's policy now. I have worked in places with zero tolerance. Equally, they may talk to you about it and accept your explanation of illness and that you are rectifying the situation.

As above, are you a fraud risk?

Comment

Thanks a lot to all of you I have gone online and requested my Experian and Equifax credit reports, I will have bank statements ready from last year as well, I am still in the process of filling in their on-line vetting form handled by a third party. I will declared everything on the report that comes up. I am a bit more hopeful now and not so down about the whole thing. I will update you guys If things work out or don't.

Comment

They will also want evidence of what you have been doing whilst not in employment for any period. Anything as simple as current account statements will do. They just want to make sure you have been detained at HM's pleasure etc..

They are not checking your credit history to see if you are a sparkling example of the public and eligible for loans/mortgages. They are looking to see if you are a risk to their systems and if you are likely to abuse their systems to fix problems in your financial situation. If you can handle your money effectively then you are fine. If you are the type that money just slips through your fingers and you can't manage it properly then you probably won't get the gig.

This is true although I managed to get contracts at banks even without being detailed at HM's pleasure so that is not a definite fail.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by mushairo View Post
              I'm wondering if I should bother at all because it seems like it's a guaranteed refusal if you have an outstanding default.
              If you've got this far, you might as well fill in the forms. What have you got to lose. It will depend on who the bank is. Some are more stricter than others.

But to inject a dose of realism, I think it's more likely than not that you will be refused - especially with an outstanding default

Comment

Dont bother with RBS

Originally posted by mushairo View Post
                I am in a dilemma. I have been out of work for 2 and a half years due to ill health. I have now received a contracting offer with one of the top 3 UK Banks. I have a couple of small satisfied defaults 5yrs and some months old, and a big one not satisfied that I'm paying off monthly. I have started filling in the forms but, I don't know whether to declare the ones satisfied, I will however declare the one outstanding.

I've read a few threads here regarding this, I'm wondering if I should bother at all because it seems like it's a guaranteed refusal if you have an outstanding default. I am desperate as I really need to start earning, being on benefits is very demoralizing. Any advice is helpful. Cheers guys
                if default - even satisfied one is > £250

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                  if default - even satisfied one is > £250
                  WTF does this mean?

A comment on the OP's question about claiming past defaults.... read the document carefully and do what it says... If it says 'Have you ever had a default' or something like that then claim them, if it says 'Are you in default' then don't. Missing information when asked could be seen as a deliberate attempt to hide something but if the wording doesn't require you to mention it then don't. I am sure they will find most of this out when they get credit history etc anyway.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ok let me explain

WTF does this mean?

A comment on the OP's question about claiming past defaults.... read the document carefully and do what it says... If it says 'Have you ever had a default' or something like that then claim them, if it says 'Are you in default' then don't. Missing information when asked could be seen as a deliberate attempt to hide something but if the wording doesn't require you to mention it then don't. I am sure they will find most of this out when they get credit history etc anyway.
                    ok let me explain, Of the 22 PM's I offered contracts to in RBS last year 8 were rejected as the had defaults > £250 even settled ones, no excuses, no mitigation, one chaps ex wife had a mobile phone he got her then defaulted on for £280 and he was not offered either - not even escaltion to god got them in the door.

Even with settled defaults - maked NO matter

crap or what

Comment

Working...
                    X