• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Provision of consultancy services in non-EU countries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Ta again. Why you would want to go somewhere and be disrespectful and learn nothing beats me.
    Exactly but in the MEA it is very easy to be disrespectful without realising it. They tend to be a very proud and respectful lot. Giving tips should be done discreetly for example as they can be embarrassed that they need the tips to live on etc.

Also the poor know they are poor and live with it. They generally don't try and steal everything like they do here. We had a guy that made coffees in the office, kept it clean etc and was paid a couple of pounds from the petty cash despite laptops etc laying around everywhere. He was a bloody star, had my coffee order off by heart by day 2 and taught me the words for thank you, a cup of coffee etc in Arabic. He even invited me to his house for food over xmas which I was advised to turn down so I gave him a pretty generous tip which amounted to a couple of months wages and was told later he was a little unhappy about it. Instead of being generous it was seen as making a point he was poor. You live and learn.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Exactly but in the MEA it is very easy to be disrespectful without realising it. They tend to be a very proud and respectful lot. Giving tips should be done discreetly for example as they can be embarrassed that they need the tips to live on etc.

Also the poor know they are poor and live with it. They generally don't try and steal everything like they do here.
      Did you ever work in Cairo or Tunis? The poor there were money grabbing little shysters and the guys in the bank were almost exclusively workshy layabouts.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Did you ever work in Cairo or Tunis? The poor there were money grabbing little shysters and the guys in the bank were almost exclusively workshy layabouts.
        He was a poor bank worker.

Comment

Working...
        X