• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lessons learnt - dont trust anyone. Advice for any newbies.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks PC, you just ensured me I was not out of line at all when I pressured the agent to specify exactly what a working day is and put it in writing on the contract. For a second there, I was thinking maybe I was taking it a bit too far, as it was my first contract in UK ever, but nope.

Good luck!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0anaCNDvGo

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      And for this particular contract it did pan out that client wanted contractors who acted like permies. End of. Luckily it was only short term.

At one point, they even told people what to wear in to the office. Seriously.
      I presume you declared your accounts as inside IR35 for this one?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And for this particular contract it did pan out that client wanted contractors who acted like permies. End of. Luckily it was only short term.

At one point, they even told people what to wear in to the office. Seriously.
        I go to many offices where people wear jeans and trainers.

I never wear them to work in so I don't understand what you are moaning about. My company has an image to protect.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've had similar stuff happen to me, a general rule is anything to do with remuneration/benefits etc if it's not on paper you probably aren't going to get it..

You may find the newbie, less experience, less qualifications, weaker candidate, negotiated hard, you could even be there boss, has managed to get all this in writing and is receiving all the pay and perks that you didn't.

It's not to say that there isn't anything else that can be done here, as there may be a policy of some sort for all contractors, but from my experiences it will be you vs the recruitment consultants commission

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Not having a pop PC but it looks like both you and the client had a difference in expectations. My question is, what is it you do (role) that might require a dress code other than PPE (HSSE) requirements?
            Nothing special its just the client felt the need to mention it numerous times in meetings. Not me just to everyone. Weird.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I go to many offices where people wear jeans and trainers.

I never wear them to work in so I don't understand what you are moaning about. My company has an image to protect.
              Neither do I. Generally, I wear shirt/tie sometimes without the tie. Never just rock up and wear what I like even if client staff wear shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I presume you declared your accounts as inside IR35 for this one?
                Straight on the phone ;-)

Comment

On the point of working 12 hours but then suggesting they only needed you for 8. Legally that doesn't wash. If they didn't tell you to go home they should pay it. That would be the point to tell them they're in breach of contract and withhold services until it's paid.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the contract works both ways if it isn't specifically in the contract that you agree to a shift at short notice then you can refuse without breaching the contract.

I mean if something was like that in the contract I wouldn't sign it in the first place.

A contractor can also play silly buggers if he wants to.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 August 2013, 13:19.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Neither do I. Generally, I wear shirt/tie sometimes without the tie. Never just rock up and wear what I like even if client staff wear shorts.
                    So why the moan about dress code then?

It's irrelevant.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So did you...

Did you wear your t-shirt on "go-live" day then?

Comment

Working...
                      X