• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore Insurance Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore Insurance Advice

Hello,

I am new to this forum and the contractor lifestyle and responsibilities, but I have done a significant amount of research into getting insurance. I know I need Professional Indemnity at £1million, Public and Employers Liability at £10million (or maybe £5million for PL) and finally, and most importantly, a form of offshore cover.

I know the insurance companies, their packages and whats included however I would be very grateful for your recommendations on any insurance brokers with offshore cover that you are happy with or you think I may have missed.

Thanks

You don't need employers and why need offshore? And what is it?!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      My contract requires me to have employers liability and I am pipe design consultant. offshore is anything not on land, as in my case oil rigs in the north sea

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyBobby View Post
        My contract requires me to have employers liability and I am pipe design consultant. offshore is anything not on land, as in my case oil rigs in the north sea
        Talk to a broker. If you supply your services to a UK registered/based end client off shore becomes moot. Off shore only really is relevant in insurance terms when it influences where you would be sued.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I needed it to get my current contract, as it supported the substition clause. It was only £20 a year so I didn't complain.

Blakey

Comment

Originally posted by blakeyuk View Post
            I needed it to get my current contract, as it supported the substition clause. It was only £20 a year so I didn't complain.

Blakey
            Quite correct. ELI covers any subbies as well as employees and is compulsory. You can't have a valid RoS without it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Quite correct. ELI covers any subbies as well as employees and is compulsory. You can't have a valid RoS without it.
              1. You can take out ELI at the point which it is needed - when you hire the employee or subbie.
              2. If the subbie is another Ltd. Co. contractor through a contract for services they are not your employee.

If ELI is a condition of the contract then you need it. There may also be special situations where ELI is warranted when subbing through a B2B agreement even though it's not a legal requirement. It may also be true that ELI doesn't cost much, although that doesn't detract from 1. above.

But let's be clear: not having ELI does NOT invalidate your RoS.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                1. You can take out ELI at the point which it is needed - when you hire the employee or subbie.
                2. If the subbie is another Ltd. Co. contractor through a contract for services they are not your employee.

If ELI is a condition of the contract then you need it. There may also be special situations where ELI is warranted when subbing through a B2B agreement even though it's not a legal requirement. It may also be true that ELI doesn't cost much, although that doesn't detract from 1. above.

But let's be clear: not having ELI does NOT invalidate your RoS.
                Let's be clear: yes it does if you don't have it. It demonstrates that the RoS is a sham. Arguably, only buying it when you need it demonstrates you weren't intending to supply a substitute. For £20 a year, why faff around?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Let's be clear: yes it does if you don't have it. It demonstrates that the RoS is a sham. Arguably, only buying it when you need it demonstrates you weren't intending to supply a substitute.
                  No, it shows that you were not intending to engage a subcontractor/substitute as an employee of your company. That doesn't rule out a B2B relationship.

For £20 a year, why faff around?
                  Yes indeed. The argument is moot because that is the correct answer. Here's your £20.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X