• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recent experiences @ Deutsche bank?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DB are in serious trouble mainly as they are stuck with trillions of bad debt so every single cost cutting measure that can be used is & that means IT mainly. German government & EU are clearly propping them up to avoid a massive financial collapse as no-one knows how it would affect the financial markets due to the interconnected debt (most likely it would cause a major collapse as several other banks would take massive losses). Walk on any trade floor in London & mention their name you will usually get similar feedback as its been an open secret for many years now. They are quite literally treading water operating as a zombie company as there is little hope they can ever escape the massive debt they are saddled with caused by their $47 Trillion in toxic derivatives!
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-de...lem-1475689629
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKBN14C14J
    Deutsche Bank: 5 Things You Should Know | Fortune

So after reading all of that if anyone wants to really work there be prepared for low pay, long hours, frustrating days (due to poor IT investment & general business investment as they have no money for anything). I turned them down several times as I knew it would not be worth a punt as work life balance is also poor. If they paid well it would be a different matter but their contractor salaries are pretty weak compared to others.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
      If you were running your own business would you hire a contractor or perm if you knew you needed them for nine months?
      Well. If you knew you needed them for 9 months then you would hire contractors.

If you knew you needed someone for the foreseeable then you’d hire permanent.

Is this a trick question or are you just a little slow?

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        DB are in serious trouble mainly as they are stuck with trillions of bad debt so every single cost cutting measure that can be used is & that means IT mainly. German government & EU are clearly propping them up to avoid a massive financial collapse as no-one knows how it would affect the financial markets due to the interconnected debt (most likely it would cause a major collapse as several other banks would take massive losses). Walk on any trade floor in London & mention their name you will usually get similar feedback as its been an open secret for many years now. They are quite literally treading water operating as a zombie company as there is little hope they can ever escape the massive debt they are saddled with caused by their $47 Trillion in toxic derivatives!
        https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-de...lem-1475689629
        https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKBN14C14J
        Deutsche Bank: 5 Things You Should Know | Fortune

So after reading all of that if anyone wants to really work there be prepared for low pay, long hours, frustrating days (due to poor IT investment & general business investment as they have no money for anything). I turned them down several times as I knew it would not be worth a punt as work life balance is also poor. If they paid well it would be a different matter but their contractor salaries are pretty weak compared to others.
        yes its open knowledge that they are "at risk" of a financial meltdown, although probably they would get a government bailout

other big issue is that there is a mega infrastructure outsourcing deal with DXC which is in aherm significantly challenging times

Comment

well

Cuts cuts cuts. Oh well.

EDIT: and more cuts https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lysts-get-wary

Aufwiedersehen lieber Freund..
          Last edited by cloudy; 8 February 2018, 09:22.

Comment

On a serious note if you want my view the reason why DB and other bank are in so much trouble is because they hire contractors.
            I suspect it is more because they fire permies rather than because they hire contractors. The extremely frequent headcount reduction cycle leads to permies being binned off with massive redundancy payouts, and canned projects. Fast forwards six months, canned projects are restarted from scratch and a new hiring cycle begins to replace the people they binned at massive expense. I knew Barclays permies receiving a six figure payout despite being a couple of years from retirement.

Oh, the outsourcing-insourcing-outsourcing-insourcing cycle will be the other reason.
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

So I've accepted a contract at DB, through an agency - due to start at the end of the month - the money is good, but didn't do my DD and now am wondering whether its a good idea..

Has anyone worked their recently?

Comment

Originally posted by cntor View Post
                So I've accepted a contract at DB, through an agency - due to start at the end of the month - the money is good, but didn't do my DD and now am wondering whether its a good idea..

Has anyone worked their recently?
                Congrats - Its a good bank with a lot to work on - Just fit in and you ll be fine

I m waiting patiently for the long timers on this forum who will tell you to come in with a contractor lunch box or wear a Ltd cufflinks to stay outside IR35.

If you approach this as being a member of the team and do as other perms do then you ll be fine

If you come in and try and be different under the guise of being a contractor and therefore somehow "can deliver" as previous poster mentioned with perms who "cannot" you will suffer

Comment

Originally posted by sketchandsunshine View Post
                  Well. If you knew you needed them for 9 months then you would hire contractors.

If you knew you needed someone for the foreseeable then you’d hire permanent.

Is this a trick question or are you just a little slow?
                  I m obviously a bit slow so go easy with me

We already established in previous posts that perm is no safer then contractor for the first two years and perm can be marched off just as easily.

Given that contractors are twice the price of a perm why would you hire a contractor?!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    I suspect it is more because they fire permies rather than because they hire contractors. The extremely frequent headcount reduction cycle leads to permies being binned off with massive redundancy payouts, and canned projects. Fast forwards six months, canned projects are restarted from scratch and a new hiring cycle begins to replace the people they binned at massive expense. I knew Barclays permies receiving a six figure payout despite being a couple of years from retirement.

Oh, the outsourcing-insourcing-outsourcing-insourcing cycle will be the other reason.
                    What you are saying is the amount of attrition is negative to a project? If yes I buy that but doesnt contractors by its nature mean more variance in the number of people working on a project?

Comment

Given that contractors are twice the price of a perm why would you hire a contractor?!
                      This is basically not true. There are many reasons but you can’t compare solely the take home.

Hiring permies means many more overheads and responsibility.

Yes they may not be obliged to pay redundancy but there is still a hell of a lot of hoops they need to jump through to get rid of someone still with a risk of being sued.

All of this costs money, a lot of money. So it’s not as black and white as you think.

Comment

Working...
                      X