• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clause question in contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Don't sign the OPT OUT document they've no doubt presented you with in conjunction with the contract - if you don't opt out that clause will be null & void (IIUC).
    You sure that isn't to go for perm employment after the contract?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You sure that isn't to go for perm employment after the contract?
      No - opting in gives you the right to return after 8 weeks from the end of the contract or 14 from the start (whichever is later) without needing to use the same agency.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        No - opting in gives you the right to return after 8 weeks from the end of the contract or 14 from the start (whichever is later) without needing to use the same agency.
        You sure about that? I always thought the period is that in which a charge for returning can be made.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Basically if you really take the p**s then the clause is there to protect the agency. If they try to use it unreasonably then they will not get anywhere
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

This sounds like an agency I have had indirect dealings with that put in unrealistic (and totally non-enforceable I would assume going off what NLUK says) clauses to their contracts. One recent assignment saw them trying to stipulate that the contractors under them had to do the following:

a) They MUST use the preferred umbrella company to get paid only - no others allowed and no ltd co. (this preferred brolly were not surprisingly part of the same conglomerate)
            b) The contractor cannot contract to the current client or any other client through one of <agency's> competitors upon termination of the contract for 12 MONTHS (effectively meaning you'd have to take a year of contracting completely to not be in breach!)
            c) Various other ridiculous hoops to jump through including three separate timesheets, an invoice and a lengthy payment schedule and 'ongoing' referencing (whatever that is)

Luckily mob rule seemed to get a) and b) overturned in the end but not before about 8 contractors had threatened to walk. They really shouldn't have started anyway with such ridiculous terms imposed but no-one had signed and clientco was still keep to get people in sharpish so these guys started with 'good faith'.

Luckily me and a couple of others had come through a different agency who were absolutely fine and who I still use today with no issues.
            Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Worst I've seen is this little number:

The Service company shall not] for twelve months following the Termination Date solicit or endeavour to entice away from the Company the business or custom of a Customer or Prospective Customer with a view to
              providing goods or services to that Customer in competition with any Restricted Business or otherwise induce, solicit or entice or endeavour to induce, solicit or entice any Customer to cease conducting, or reduce the amount of, business with the Company.
              Service Company = MyCo Ltd.

Their definition of a Prospective Customer = any person, firm, company or entity to whom or which, during the period of six months prior to the Termination Date, the Company had submitted a tender, quotation, made a pitch or presentation or with whom or which it was otherwise negotiating for the supply of goods or services or with whom or which a Consultant or Service Company had material dealings at any time during the Relevant Period.

The Company = The Agency. The Agency = Silverlink Technologies.

Despite the fact the client was dead keen, this was just one of many completely unreasonable clauses and I relatively politely told them to do one and told the Client (a British telecommunications company) why.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post

Their definition of a Prospective Customer = any person, firm, company or entity to whom or which, during the period of six months prior to the Termination Date, the Company had submitted a tender, quotation, made a pitch or presentation or with whom or which it was otherwise negotiating for the supply of goods or services or with whom or which a Consultant or Service Company had material dealings at any time during the Relevant Period.
                That would really work in a court of law...

Sometimes depending on the client it may be worth leaving unreasonable clauses in due to their unenforceability.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Argh, just replied to this topic by mistake. Should have posted here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post2066186

Sorry for the uber bump!
                  Last edited by GillsMan; 10 March 2015, 13:49. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                  X