• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Unemployed" between projects?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by all and sundry View Post
    WARCHEST FTW!
    Good idea. Where do they sell these if you're currently short of one...?
    Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by bigugly View Post
      Just wondering - is it normal to register as unemployed between projects? I guess if you're an employee of your own company you'd still be employed but earning nothing, which sucks.
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1822925
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I see I'm famous!

Ignore all those who says that decent contractors dont claim JSA and they've got the biggest willy. If you want to claim JSA, its perfectly legal and above board. If you don't you don't its a personal choice.

You will, of course, have to stop paying salary/dividends and, as nluk points out, have less than £16K in savings.

But Jobcentre don't understand it all and YMMV with how they treat you. You will have to sign on, go to stupid JS interviews etc.

(BTW - its £71 or so a week).
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          I see I'm famous!

Ignore all those who says that decent contractors dont claim JSA and they've got the biggest willy. If you want to claim JSA, its perfectly legal and above board. If you don't you don't its a personal choice.

You will, of course, have to stop paying salary/dividends and, as nluk points out, have less than £16K in savings.

But Jobcentre don't understand it all and YMMV with how they treat you. You will have to sign on, go to stupid JS interviews etc.

(BTW - its £71 or so a week).
          That is savings or in the business though isn't it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            That is savings or in the business though isn't it.
            Well, interestingly enough they only ask about personal savings.

I found that once they decided it was going to be contrib-only JSA route (which is all you'll get if partners income is over £400 a month) then they basically crossed half the form out and ignored it.

Didn't even ask for proof of savings etc. Also, never even mentioned money in the company. Part of this - I think is due to the fact that they don't really get it.

Like I said, I had a letter address to me as director asking why I, as employee, had left employment. Weird.

Comment

Like I said, I had a letter address to me as director asking why I, as employee, had left employment. Weird.
              Or the beginning of their benefit fraud investigation?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not only does it not make sense - but could you really be arsed with the paperwork anyway?

Comment

contrib-only JSA route (which is all you'll get if partners income is over £400 a month)
                  Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance entitlement (JSA-C) is based on Class 1 NI contributions in the two complete tax years preceding the benefit year of claim. It has got nothing to do with one's partners earnings.

Sometimes the muppets at the DWP award JSA-C by mistake or because they're not bothered to check properly or most likely because they're more useless than the benefit recipients.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Well, interestingly enough they only ask about personal savings.

I found that once they decided it was going to be contrib-only JSA route (which is all you'll get if partners income is over £400 a month) then they basically crossed half the form out and ignored it.

Didn't even ask for proof of savings etc. Also, never even mentioned money in the company. Part of this - I think is due to the fact that they don't really get it.

I don't find it interesting. I find it disgraceful that they don't check. It leaves you in the situation where you, through no fault of your own/ignorance or apathy, are committing benefit fraud. You knowing the rules and them not following them properly is not a defence. They should be asking you about income and adding your LTD money to that and if you know it makes you ineligible you are committing fraud. You can bet the investigations dept are a lot more diligent than the front desks.

Can I claim Job Seekers Allowance if I have a limited company?

I don't see what the letter is weird. A company director lets an employee go so they write to him. The fact both are you is neither here nor there. Process has been followed. What reason did you put?

Sometimes the muppets at the DWP award JSA-C by mistake or because they're not bothered to check properly or most likely because they're more useless than the benefit recipients.
                    LOL... when I went in to the Salford one I honestly couldn't tell who was the advisor and who was the claimant. Tattoos, facial piercing and general shabby look about both people sat the table. There was a guy sat at a desk by himself and I honestly didn't know if he was working there or waiting for someone that was. I felt a right bloody nana suited and booted. Everyone kept asking me questions like I worked there.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 October 2013, 19:29.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                      Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance entitlement (JSA-C) is based on Class 1 NI contributions in the two complete tax years preceding the benefit year of claim. It has got nothing to do with one's partners earnings.

Exactly. Which like I said is all you can get if partner is earning.

Comment

Working...
                      X