• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higher Grade Gig for a lower rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1st contract was £150 a day less than the rate I was earning as an established ITIL trainer.

I'm earning considerably more than that these days.

(Thinking about it, I earned £50 a day more than my trainer rate after my 1st extension...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Best gigs for me, so far, are the word of mouth ones.
      A friend is working at company A, recommends me, they get me.
      The interviews are easy, the rates are good and usually they're not too fussed about the amount of experience I have in xyz, they care more about value for money and whether I can deliver on time.
      If it's something new, I buy a book and read it in my loo time.

I'm in this situation now (not the loo) and I've already added about 5 new tech skills to my CV.
      Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        +1

Those who come in to contracting purely for the money will only ever judge a contract on the pounds in your pocket, not on the potential to earn more later.
        +2

I've taken a lower rate to move into new / different technologies - I always base my rate expectations on the role, the technology and the location. If it's something that I fancy doing, then I'll be more flexible on rate.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Remember the agencies are going for higher commission from gigs. So turn the tables on them and ask them for your rate to increase and theirs to decrease.

Comment

Working...
          X