• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you do a crap contract short-term if needs be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    You'd only pose a threat to our reputation if we submitted you to one of our clients.
    You submit me to no one, go pimp someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
      That particular agency told me say this, say that... so the agencies also distort the interview process by tipping candidates off about what the client co wants to hear. Basically, the agency double-crosses in their greedy pursuit of commission.

You are only obsessed with me because I pose a threat to the reputation of your 'industry'.
      You dont half talk some bulltulip. I really reckon a pimp took you out for a customary drink one time and you got drunk and something happened to you. Did he touch you in a place he shouldn't have?

Comment

You could always just take it and if it's really crap, bail after a few weeks anyway.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You are only obsessed with me because I pose a threat to the reputation of your 'industry'.
          You are certainly an embarrassment to ours.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No doubt the names Mason Ryan and Ryan Mason have been emailed round Andy's company with a link to your various threads blacklisting you on the off chance either of those is your real name...... you should send them a data access request

Comment

Are you this Mason Ryan ?

...or perhaps this Ryan Mason ?
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                See quite a few crap contracts on jobserve at the moment. Pros and cons of taking short-term crap role?

Advantages as I see it:-

1. Some income is better than zero income.
                2. Its better to have something on your CV than a large gap.
                3. Might learn new skills?

Disadvantages:-

1. Rate really is crap.
                2. It looks strange on your CV that you did something low-level.

Got an offer of a contract. Its about 1/3rd of what I normally charge but:-

1. Its 10 mins from home. (Important at the moment)
                2. I get my SC back. (Good for future roles)
                3. Its a month rolling so easy to bail if something better comes up. (and I won't mention that I could bail part way because it'll upset NLUK)
                Don't forget working tax credit.

Comment

Last time I had to take a really crap contract was in Bristol, about 10 years ago. There was one time the project manager was driving me to the airport in his BMW 840i (love that pointy nose and the V8) when he said

"Not much work coming up at the moment. We might need to ask you to take a holiday for a week or so. But don't worry, we'll just add a few weeks onto the end of your contract."
                  ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
                    Last time I had to take a really crap contract was in Bristol, about 10 years ago. There was one time the project manager was driving me to the airport in his BMW 840i (love that pointy nose and the V8) when he said

"Not much work coming up at the moment. We might need to ask you to take a holiday for a week or so. But don't worry, we'll just add a few weeks onto the end of your contract."
                    Your point being?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What about a cr@p contract long term?

I had an agent contact me about a 12 month Dev role close to me in the Midlands paying £200-£250 a day, when I asked why the rate was so low his response was that the 'client had so much work on that they envisaged the contract going on for a good few years', why he thought that would make it more appealing I don't know, i may do a short 2/3 month stint at around £300 a day but long term... no chance!

Comment

Working...
                      X