How have you found the daily rates for Business Analysts to change with time. How have you found the daily rates for Business Analysts to change with time. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    920

    Default

    I wouldn't sweat it too much. A lot can happen in 4 years, as you start working you get experience of what you like doing, you might find something you actually like doing this will give you more happiness than doing something you hate because you get a little bit more money at the end of the day.

  2. #12

    Godlike

    Bunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    You need to go much deeper than that - product, data and software specialists rather than generalists can and do command far more.
    Don't tell him that, he's going to pick an area to specialise in before he's even started his career.

    To the OP, read or listen to Steve Jobs' speech about not being able to connect the dots looking forward. Choose what you want to do, and then do it. Don't try to plan your exact career path because it's very unlikely to go according to that plan. Get some experience, do as well as you can at what you're currently doing, evaluate your situation every so often, and make any changes accordingly.

    Stop getting hung up on what commands the best rates, what is most in demand etc because it's a moving target. Who knows what the market will be like by the time you're ready for those roles.

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    You need to go much deeper than that - product, data and software specialists rather than generalists can and do command far more.
    On that note I have come across some adverts that require an SAP FICO or HANA qualified business analysts, having little commercial knowledge I understood the technicians to have the software specific qualifications rather than the BA.

  4. #14

    Super poster

    MyUserName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oh ... not far
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prabs91 View Post
    On that note I have come across some adverts that require an SAP FICO or HANA qualified business analysts, having little commercial knowledge I understood the technicians to have the software specific qualifications rather than the BA.
    Honestly you are going about this the wrong way. Just learn the trade and keep learning, take opportunities and keep improving. In a few years you may or may not want to start contracting. If you do then sell your best skill for the best price you can, keep learning, take opportunities and keep improving.

    If you are taking a flying leap at what is going to be the most highly paid skill in 4 years time then the chance of you being right is basically zero as it depends on many other things. My day rate is lower than it was at my last gig but I am 25 minutes from home and not an hour and a half so I make more money. However, even if it did not I would still have taken it because of the convenience and the ability to learn new technologies.

    It is like asking what weight training routine should you do now to be in the Olympics in 4 years time (assuming there is one, let us pretend there is).
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

    https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

  5. #15

    Still gathering requirements...

    BjornMorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickNick View Post
    Speak for yourself. Some of us find analysis work VERY interesting.
    WHS

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyUserName View Post
    Honestly you are going about this the wrong way. Just learn the trade and keep learning, take opportunities and keep improving. In a few years you may or may not want to start contracting. If you do then sell your best skill for the best price you can, keep learning, take opportunities and keep improving.

    If you are taking a flying leap at what is going to be the most highly paid skill in 4 years time then the chance of you being right is basically zero as it depends on many other things. My day rate is lower than it was at my last gig but I am 25 minutes from home and not an hour and a half so I make more money. However, even if it did not I would still have taken it because of the convenience and the ability to learn new technologies.

    It is like asking what weight training routine should you do now to be in the Olympics in 4 years time (assuming there is one, let us pretend there is).
    Absolutely. It's the tail wagging the dog. Forget these mind blowing rates and drooling over what could be because you are just no where near. In 4 years time I would be will to bet many of the mid to low entry BA roles will have been bobbed out anyway so you should be focussing on something more senior or niche that can't be offshored. You may even enjoy permie land if you can land the right gigs and climb the corporate ladder at pace. Being a BA for the next 40 years may not seem that attractive once you start getting opportunities as you learn.

    Forget the rates, take the rose tinted glasses off and just focus on working.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyUserName View Post
    Honestly you are going about this the wrong way. Just learn the trade and keep learning, take opportunities and keep improving. In a few years you may or may not want to start contracting. If you do then sell your best skill for the best price you can, keep learning, take opportunities and keep improving.

    If you are taking a flying leap at what is going to be the most highly paid skill in 4 years time then the chance of you being right is basically zero as it depends on many other things. My day rate is lower than it was at my last gig but I am 25 minutes from home and not an hour and a half so I make more money. However, even if it did not I would still have taken it because of the convenience and the ability to learn new technologies.

    It is like asking what weight training routine should you do now to be in the Olympics in 4 years time (assuming there is one, let us pretend there is).
    I agree, this is what I intend to do, learn the trade and get a feel for it and then find what I enjoy and at when the time is right, market my skills at the contracting market. It may come across that I am trying to leap into contracting straight away before understanding the trade properly but this is not the case, I am just trying pick up some tacit knowledge of what working as a contractor is like and whether it will be viable as a career one day.

  8. #18

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DirtyDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prabs91 View Post
    I agree, this is what I intend to do, learn the trade and get a feel for it and then find what I enjoy and at when the time is right, market my skills at the contracting market. It may come across that I am trying to leap into contracting straight away before understanding the trade properly but this is not the case, I am just trying pick up some tacit knowledge of what working as a contractor is like and whether it will be viable as a career one day.
    So ask that question, rather than asking about rates and rate fluctuations that have happened.

    Contracting isn't about the money. Do some searches here, and read the first timers guide. And (as I said in the Welcome thread), bear in mind that everything can change between now and whenever you feel that you have the skills and experience to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

  9. #19

    Super poster

    MyUserName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oh ... not far
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prabs91 View Post
    I agree, this is what I intend to do, learn the trade and get a feel for it and then find what I enjoy and at when the time is right, market my skills at the contracting market. It may come across that I am trying to leap into contracting straight away before understanding the trade properly but this is not the case, I am just trying pick up some tacit knowledge of what working as a contractor is like and whether it will be viable as a career one day.

    Your life and circumstances will change and so will various industries and the economies of various countries. Your desire to run your own business might come and go depending on what is happening in your life.

    At times contracting might be viable for you and at other times not. It might seem like we are being awkward but honestly, this question is impossible for anyone to answer without lying to you or making so many assumptions that the answer is worthless.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

    https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

  10. #20

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,962

    Default

    As mentioned a specialist will earn more than a generalist, but so don't spend 4 years getting upto speed with whats happening now, get up to speed with the next big thing, not easy to do but if you are a permie try and get on any conferences, working groups etc
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •