• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How have you found the daily rates for Business Analysts to change with time.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Absolutely. It's the tail wagging the dog. Forget these mind blowing rates and drooling over what could be because you are just no where near. In 4 years time I would be will to bet many of the mid to low entry BA roles will have been bobbed out anyway so you should be focussing on something more senior or niche that can't be offshored. You may even enjoy permie land if you can land the right gigs and climb the corporate ladder at pace. Being a BA for the next 40 years may not seem that attractive once you start getting opportunities as you learn.

Forget the rates, take the rose tinted glasses off and just focus on working.
    I'm interested in how you reach the conclusion that low to mid-level BA roles would get bobbed out. I'd have thought that it's a role that's pretty safe as you have to be where the business/product owners are to work with them. The BAs can't be in a different time-zone and speaking a language a product owner would have difficulty understanding.

As it is BAs have to take up the slack from failings of the bob consultancies to do what they are supposed to do (fundamental walkthroughs, repeated conf calls, almost writing their tech specs for them etc.) How is that going to work when a product owner than has to pretty much write out their own functional requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
      I'm interested in how you reach the conclusion that low to mid-level BA roles would get bobbed out. I'd have thought that it's a role that's pretty safe as you have to be where the business/product owners are to work with them. The BAs can't be in a different time-zone and speaking a language a product owner would have difficulty understanding.

As it is BAs have to take up the slack from failings of the bob consultancies to do what they are supposed to do (fundamental walkthroughs, repeated conf calls, almost writing their tech specs for them etc.) How is that going to work when a product owner than has to pretty much write out their own functional requirements?
      I can't see how it won't over time. At first it was a bit of coding, next team leads, PM's, SI, SM's etc It's growing so any area will be up for scrutiny. The term BA is such misleading one and seems to cover a wide range of activities I could just be talking about the the title being used incorrectly.

I am aware however the clients team of BA's has been reduced due to off and onshore guys taking up some of the worked so there is that aspect to it as well.

Good solid BA's will always be needed, and the same could be said for solid PM's SM's and all the other roles mentioned but there a lot of this work being taken on by the offshore outsourcers.

I don't think any role in the chain is completely immune. Maybe just an opinion that others don't agree with.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm interested in how you reach the conclusion that low to mid-level developer roles would get bobbed out. I'd have thought that it's a role that's pretty safe as you have to be where the business/product owners are to work with them. The developer can't be in a different time-zone and speaking a language a product owner would have difficulty understanding.

As it is developer have to take up the slack from failings of the bob consultancies to do what they are supposed to do (fundamental walkthroughs, repeated code reviews, almost writing their code for them etc.) How is that going to work when a BA than has to pretty much write out their own technical requirements?
        Look familiar? It should, it was exactly what was being touted a few years ago at one of my old companies before everything was outsourced.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

We already have Finance and IT BAs operating out of the Phillipines and India, as their work is signed off by the business it is to a pretty good calibre.

Comment

And you still believe that? How quaint.

I was in exactly that set up. We had a (very competent) technical BA in Hydrabad working with the developers and I was the hub, working in in all timezones (it's still difficult working between the Eastern board US and India).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              And you still believe that? How quaint.

I was in exactly that set up. We had a (very competent) technical BA in Hydrabad working with the developers and I was the hub, working in in all timezones (it's still difficult working between the Eastern board US and India).
              Incidentally, I'm in the same boat (working with India and Eastern US), and OK I can see that there are BAs working with developers in India (it is a different S/W development model but what they do is BA-ing) so yes that's happened, but your role Cojak, can you imagine the product/business owners you work with dealing directly with your BA in Hydrabad?

Why won't your role be outsourced? Is it the hub thing?

Comment

I'm interested in how you reach the conclusion that low to mid-level BA roles would get bobbed out.
                Incidentally, I'm in the same boat (working with India and Eastern US), and OK I can see that there are BAs working with developers in India (it is a different S/W development model but what they do is BA-ing) so yes that's happened

Comment

lol!

I say "and OK I can see blah blah" so I've changed my mind (for the low-level bobs), is that not allowed or are we in general?

Comment

lol!

I say "and OK I can see blah blah" so I've changed my mind (for the low-level bobs), is that not allowed or are we in general?
                    Perfectly allowed and very reasonable. Just wanted to use the smiley I found

Comment

Perfectly allowed and very reasonable. Just wanted to use the self-portrait I found
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X