• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Applying for Job Seekers Allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for Job Seekers Allowance

My contract expired several weeks ago and I have been unable to find a new contract even though I've been trying hard to find one. Dare I ask this question but I am considering whether to claim for Job Seekers Allowance to help pay the bills while I'm looking.

I went to the JobCentre and although it was probably the most awful experience I've had with unhelpful staff, they said that I couldn't claim as I was classed as a contractor and self-employed. This confuses me as I use an umbrella company and they state that I'm an employee of theirs and I've been paying my hard earned cash to the National Insurance contributions.

I was wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences of this as well and would know where I would stand with this and whether I am actually eligible to claim JSA or not? Be great hear what you guys say.

Originally posted by deepblue99 View Post
    My contract expired several weeks ago and I have been unable to find a new contract even though I've been trying hard to find one. Dare I ask this question but I am considering whether to claim for Job Seekers Allowance to help pay the bills while I'm looking.

I went to the JobCentre and although it was probably the most awful experience I've had with unhelpful staff, they said that I couldn't claim as I was classed as a contractor and self-employed. This confuses me as I use an umbrella company and they state that I'm an employee of theirs and I've been paying my hard earned cash to the National Insurance contributions.

I was wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences of this as well and would know where I would stand with this and whether I am actually eligible to claim JSA or not? Be great hear what you guys say.
    I guess you need to sort out a P45 from your umbrella and take that to the JobCentre.

Remember anything no standard is just going to result in a No from the time-managed workers at the Job Centre as they need to process x claims an hour / day.....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

feel for you.

How I believe it should go.

If you are via an umbrella you are an employee. Get them to issue a P45.

Take P45 to Job Centre and sign on. Tell them you were let go by the X management ltd(Umbrella).

You confused / raised the Job Centre's prejudices by mentioning contracting. They then assumed you were self employed and paying lower NI that doesn't entitle you to contribution based JSA or any help at all really.

Someone who has been through this a few times may be along soon to help you. This is second hand knowledge from me.

Did you not have a warchest?

Good luck
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        feel for you.

Take P45 to Job Centre and sign on. Tell them you were let go by the X management ltd(Umbrella).

You confused / raised the Job Centre's prejudices by mentioning contracting. They then assumed you were self employed and paying lower NI that doesn't entitle you to contribution based JSA or any help at all really.

Someone who has been through this a few times may be along soon to help you. This is second hand knowledge from me.

Good luck
        Psychocandy is the resident expert. Search for threads started by him.

Comment

feel for you.

Good luck
          A warchest is more difficult to accumulate if you're paying full income tax, employer and employee NI.

Don't be too hard on the fellow.

Comment

It shouldn't be anything to do with P45s, just make it clear to them you're not working, your last job came to an end, and you're looking and are available and they should give you the contribution based JSA for 6 months. After that you're into the realms of income based JSA, and then they start demanding evidence of your savings and company accounts (if you have a Ltd.).

The chances of a Job Centre numptie understanding what an umbrella company is are nil, they just want to see employed or unemployed. But it probably will help their tiny brains cope if you can present them with a P45.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              It shouldn't be anything to do with P45s, just make it clear to them you're not working, your last job came to an end, and you're looking and are available and they should give you the contribution based JSA for 6 months. After that you're into the realms of income based JSA, and then they start demanding evidence of your savings and company accounts (if you have a Ltd.).

The chances of a Job Centre numptie understanding what an umbrella company is are nil, they just want to see employed or unemployed. But it probably will help their tiny brains cope if you can present them with a P45.
              Get online and claim for it now and select the date 7 weeks ago you wanted to claim from. This previous 7 weeks will be refused and your claim will be taken from today minus the first 3 days. Then appeal the fact they will not pay the previous 7 weeks for wrongful advice from them. It will be allowed as this is good cause.

Comment

Do a search, there's loads of threads about this.

Yes, it's a total nightmare, my 2ps worth of advice is to spend as muich time as possible getting the next gig, even if lower than normal daily rate.

A lot less stressful in the long run.

Best of British.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

feel for you.

Good luck
                  For some the opportunity to acquire one of these never arises thus they end up going round in circles
                  Permietractor (probably)

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/how-to-claim

You can apply online. Then they will direct you to a job center office. You won't get any benefits until you fill in the online forms. They won't do backdated claims usually.

Comment

Working...
                    X