• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you take out IR35 Insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you take out IR35 Insurance?

I never have, unless my old PCG membership included this the year I was a member, as I've been very happy I'm way outside, but a possible new contract is perhaps less clear.

I was interested what proportion of contractors are covered against HMRC inquiries and penalties in relation to IR35, and who the most popular providers of such cover are...
    Yes
    57.14%
    No, I'll take the risk
    35.71%
    No, I consider myself inside IR35 anyway
    4.76%
    N/A
    2.38%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I have QDOS TLC which covers most eventualities.

I'm sure some will point out its relatively cheap as the likelihood of it being required is remote, however, I don't want to be the person who gets bankrupted due to some bizarre interpretation of the law. And I consider myself way outside ir35.

Comment

Yes, through QDOS.

It's one less thing to concern myself with now.

Comment

PCG+ membership, and Qdos TLC35 just to be really certain that I have cover for any penalty as well.

Probably overkill, and I'm pretty certain that I'm outside and always have been, but for less than a day's billing, I figure it's a no-brainer.
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

How long does your cover last? If you take a contract now and are covered, then in a year take a juicy permie job, do you have to keep your cover up forever?

i.e. does your policy cover you against investigations launched during the policy lifetime, or future investigations which target events during the policy lifetime?
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No for me the risk is so minisucally small it would be irrational to take it.

In September 2011 a Freedom of Information Request revealed that the number of cases reviewed had fallen from 158 (year ending April 2007) to 12 in year ending April 2010 and 23 in year ending April 2011. The same document also gives the "tax yield received for the requested years" as having fallen from £1,906,619 to £219,180. No details are given for the costs of the investigations or the costs of collecting the tax.
            IR35 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It failed as a piece of legislation, it raised an order of maginute less than expected and costs much more than it brings in, it's now just left to scare the new/naive contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              How long does your cover last? If you take a contract now and are covered, then in a year take a juicy permie job, do you have to keep your cover up forever?

i.e. does your policy cover you against investigations launched during the policy lifetime, or future investigations which target events during the policy lifetime?
              HMRC have six years to go back through, so it makes sense to keep the policy / PCG membership going for a year or so after you finish contracting. You need to have cover in place when the investigation starts to be covered.
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                HMRC have six years to go back through, so it makes sense to keep the policy / PCG membership going for a year or so after you finish contracting. You need to have cover in place when the investigation starts to be covered.
                It's six years into an open company. If you stop contracting and close your company down the window of opportunity for HMRC to enquire diminishes.
                Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Yes, if you count my PCG Plus membership (which isn't strictly insurance and doesn't just cover IR35, which I'm confident I'm outside of).

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    No for me the risk is so minisucally small it would be irrational to take it.

IR35 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It failed as a piece of legislation, it raised an order of maginute less than expected and costs much more than it brings in, it's now just left to scare the new/naive contractor.
                    I realise I can't really add anything meaningful to this thread without it being considered heavily biased...but the above doesn't really tell the full story. Enquiries did indeed drop to 23 in y/e April 2011, but then rose to 193 in the first half of y/e April 2013.

We've got several cases on the go and HMRC have openly upped their resources dedicated to 'policing' IR35.
                    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                    X