• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need to get off the bench....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Any tips for how to find PM roles at this time of year? Only a few weeks of warchest are left. I have reduced my daily rate requirements by more than £150 per day and have to play down my seniority just to get CV in front of agents. I have been networking but if anyone has tips about how to network and offer my skills at a lower rate without appearing desperate that would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Few weeks left. Bloody hell - I'm getting worried that I'm down to last 5 months.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Few weeks left. Bloody hell - I'm getting worried that I'm down to last 5 months.
      In August I had nothing as redundancy money was spent after 3 months on the bench and credit card minimum payments reduced down to £1 each per month and had to move out of Former Marital Home and pay 3 months rent in advance as I was unemployed.

Got a gig in the summer - it lasted 3 months luckily I didn't spend it all at once that's what is paying for Nov and will cover Dec and Jan if I don't give kids any Xmas presents having already paid ex House mortgage, bills and child maintenance.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Have you started claiming jobseekers allowance yet? Not much, but better than nothing.

You may also be able to claim housing benefit and things like that - have a read through the "On the bench in my dressing gown" (or whatever the exact thread title is). There's some good advice in there.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          Have you started claiming jobseekers allowance yet? Not much, but better than nothing.

You may also be able to claim housing benefit and things like that - have a read through the "On the bench in my dressing gown" (or whatever the exact thread title is). There's some good advice in there.
          Don't really want to do that until warchest is gone, having said that last invoice from gig is being paid today.

I don't qualify for housing benefit - too much equity in former marital home.

ta anyway!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

was applying for roles within 100 mile radius and getting nowhere in terms of interviews. Saw a role in South West and applied for it - got interview within 30 minutes.

If you are out of work then you have to expand your search.

Comment

Don't really want to do that until warchest is gone, having said that last invoice from gig is being paid today.

ta anyway!
              DON'T LEAVE IT TILL THE LAST MINUTE.

If you wait until you need it, then you may find that by the time they have got round to approving things and paying you, then it will be too late. I know it's a long read, but have a read of the dressing gown thread - there are some good tips in there about looking for work, and also about benefits etc.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

ta anyway!
                Are you mad? It might only be £71 a week but if it makes warchest last longer. Swallow your pride mate or you'll be living under a cardboard box.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  was applying for roles within 100 mile radius and getting nowhere in terms of interviews. Saw a role in South West and applied for it - got interview within 30 minutes.

If you are out of work then you have to expand your search.
                  +1.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

This is a great thread, very helpful and saved for the inevitable benchtime. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Are you mad? It might only be £71 a week but if it makes warchest last longer. Swallow your pride mate or you'll be living under a cardboard box.
                      +1

The sooner you swallow your pride and become less stressed the more likely you will get a contract.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X