• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before expiry is it normal for the client to start talking about renewal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before expiry is it normal for the client to start talking about renewal?

This is a bit of a newbie question and I've searched but not found the exact answer I am looking for... How should I approach a renewal if the client is talking about it several months before my contract end date?

I'm on my first contract which is 6 months. With over 3 months till the contract end date, the client manager has informally raised the topic of renewing my contract. I know they want to recruit a permie and it might take at least 3-4 months to get someone on board. I think they are desperate to keep me because I have also been asked 'what might I be looking for in a perm role?'

So, when would it be most appropriate to talk about renewing? Should I do it now and get the original contract extended to say, 9 months? Or do I wait till nearer the time and get a new contract for an extra 3 months?

Any advice?

Originally posted by edison View Post
    So, when would it be most appropriate to talk about renewing?
    At very latest, 1 month before the end of the contract. If the client offers a renewal earlier than that then great! Discuss it with them, agree the terms then post a message in the "General" forum with a title of "Boomed!!!"

So, do you want the extension or not? Or perhaps you would consider a permie job there? Talk to the client about what you want - neither he nor we can read your mind!

Remember though, that even if it gets extended to 9 months, the contract is technically only as long as the notice period so if a permie comes along then you could be out. Then again, they might get funding to extend your contract and not be that bothered about trying to recruit someone if you are doing a great job and are happy to extend.

Good luck!
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      At very latest, 1 month before the end of the contract. If the client offers a renewal earlier than that then great! Discuss it with them, agree the terms then post a message in the "General" forum with a title of "Boomed!!!"

So, do you want the extension or not? Or perhaps you would consider a permie job there? Talk to the client about what you want - neither he nor we can read your mind!

Remember though, that even if it gets extended to 9 months, the contract is technically only as long as the notice period so if a permie comes along then you could be out. Then again, they might get funding to extend your contract and not be that bothered about trying to recruit someone if you are doing a great job and are happy to extend.

Good luck!
      There is a lot to like about the gig: not too far from home (although I do quite a few short foreign trips); client company is a chilled place to work; client manager is good and my colleagues are a good bunch too. On top of that, the rate is pretty high. Paradoxically, the salaries they pay are fairly low so I wouldn't want a perm role. I would be keen to extend but funnily enough this week I have been wondering whether I should as I am finding the work, well... a bit too easy. Then I hit myself over the head and remind myself of the daily rate

Comment

If a client knows the size of the project and they like you, they will often tell you months in advance of the budget being approved how long they need you for. However this is how long they "think" they need you for and often doesn't match the budget they can get out of their top brass.

If the person at the client responsible for the project is politically savy they will be able to get the budget and secure your services as far in advance as possible. If they aren't then they will do it with 1-2 weeks to go.

I suggest you work on your soft skills - that way even at interview you can scope out the possible length of the project.

Oh and never screw a client around by saying you want a permie role with them. You need to make it clear you are a flexible resource who will come back if their is a contract for you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If a client knows the size of the project and they like you, they will often tell you months in advance of the budget being approved how long they need you for. However this is how long they "think" they need you for and often doesn't match the budget they can get out of their top brass.

If the person at the client responsible for the project is politically savy they will be able to get the budget and secure your services as far in advance as possible. If they aren't then they will do it with 1-2 weeks to go.

I suggest you work on your soft skills - that way even at interview you can scope out the possible length of the project.

Oh and never screw a client around by saying you want a permie role with them. You need to make it clear you are a flexible resource who will come back if their is a contract for you.
          My soft skills are fine thanks Good advice re: gauging the potential length of the project beforehand although I knew before I started that they were seeking a permie long term. I am probably not quite the right fit because they ideally need someone who can speak multiple foreign languages. I've come in on a bit of a rescue mission to stabilise things for 6 months and then in a sense my work is almost done bar handing over to a new person. The extension is likely if they can't find a permie before I leave - which at the moment they don't seem like they will be able to do.

I'm not intending to screw the client around re: saying I want a permie role - they brought the subject up first and in any case it's clear that my asking salary would be way above what they are likely to offer/be able to afford.

Comment

2 weeks is my notice period and that is when discussion starts.

Left it up to 4.30pm on the last day to get the paperwork in a few times. As soon as they realise you cannot enter the building on Monday they jump.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              there
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                This is a bit of a newbie question and I've searched but not found the exact answer I am looking for... How should I approach a renewal if the client is talking about it several months before my contract end date?

I'm on my first contract which is 6 months. With over 3 months till the contract end date, the client manager has informally raised the topic of renewing my contract. I know they want to recruit a permie and it might take at least 3-4 months to get someone on board. I think they are desperate to keep me because I have also been asked 'what might I be looking for in a perm role?'

So, when would it be most appropriate to talk about renewing? Should I do it now and get the original contract extended to say, 9 months? Or do I wait till nearer the time and get a new contract for an extra 3 months?

Any advice?
                There is no "normal" - some clients will sort out an extension early (eg. they find out that the scope has shifted, or they work out just how good you are), some will leave it until after your contract has expired and they ring you to find out where you are.

If all you have is an informal chat, then (assuming you are interested), informally respond that you are interested. If you aren't interested, then leave it a bit longer before having the conversation. Whatever you do, don't assume that this is an extension until you have started working beyond the end of the initial contract.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Remember though, you can talk about it all you like. Until a contract comes through you have nothing. Do not delay starting to look for other gigs on a verbal discussion.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

4 weeks to go, email the agency to get things started.

3 weeks to go, if haven't heard back, email agent again.

2 weeks to go, if still haven't heard back, start mentioning hand over to people.

Comment

Working...
                    X