• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training Companies: Firebrand any good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training Companies: Firebrand any good?

Anyone recommend training companies for training leading to certification?

Which are good for technical training?

Which are rated for giving managerial training? eg, Agile, etc?

What are your experiences?
    What do you look for in a training company?

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    Anyone recommend training companies for training leading to certification?

Which are good for technical training?

Which are rated for giving managerial training? eg, Agile, etc?

What are your experiences?
    What do you look for in a training company?
    It depends.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      It depends.
      Imagine you wanted training on a 1: technical subject, 2: a PM managerial subject.

What are your thought processes that would lead you to choose one provider over another?

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
        Imagine you wanted training on a 1: technical subject, 2: a PM managerial subject.

What are your thought processes that would lead you to choose one provider over another?
        It depends.

It depends on what the subject is - technical open-source or proprietary. If not technical whether it's for (business) educational purposes or a certificate at the end of it.

It depends on the expected ROI once the course has been taken.

It really was a crap question...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

It depends.

It depends on what the subject is - technical open-source or proprietary. If not technical whether it's for (business) educational purposes or a certificate at the end of it.

It depends on the expected ROI once the course has been taken.

It really was a crap question...
          But since I've now framed the question here goes:

For all courses:

1) if I've used the company before and rated it I'll go again.
          2) if someone whose opinion I value rates the company I'll probably use it.

3) is 'it' licensed? Is there an accredited provider list?
          4) of all the providers, can you find good reviews? What is the 'word on the ground' (some may be hiking up their prices simply because they are more interested in big corporate clients than individual customers).
          5) now take a look at prices. Knock off those that are too cheap (unless you have a recommendation) and those that are too expensive (see 4).

If you simply want to know about a topic without a certificate - just go the the provider that is 'the best' on the subject. Add the course providers name to your CV under 'courses attended'. Business schools have top notch courses on Benefits Management, etc.

Comment

I've used Firebrand a number of times for technical courses and they are good. Mine so far has been on the Microsoft side - had trainers who speak at TechEd etc. Cannot comment on other courses, but would certainly consider any course they do. What I would say, is learn as much as you can before though, and ensure you have caught up on sleep, because 14 hour training days are heavy, and anything to lighten the load is worth it! Cost wise, and knowledge wise though cannot be beaten. Far better than many other places (and no I don't get an extra discount for saying this).

Comment

ok - so this is my verdict - I never go for technical training through training centers- Again out of curiosity (what technical course are you looking to dive into?) .

For example – lets take SCCM 2012 – There’s is no way you would understand the whole module in 5 days classroom training – I give you 10 days after the classroom training and I can guarantee you will forget 50%. Of what you’ve learnt.

My method : I tend to create a home lab, build my servers , install, break , fix, install, break again and break again, then fix. This way you will understand even in-depth than classroom training(I am talking IT wise though).

Comment

TCC for project Agile (DSDM).

Comment

I have found QA training are pretty good..

did my DSDM (Agile) with them and passed after a 5 day course.

Comment

TCC for project Agile (DSDM).
                    oh well - i think yould need a classroom training for this - it isnt technical .. happy learning!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X