• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad blood with HR in past permie job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad blood with HR in past permie job

Hi..I have left a past permie job(5 yrs back) with bad blood with the HR that may be on record....Now, a new contract opp requires emp references(for BPSS) that covers this job....what r my options to give their ref?

Your only option is to declare the employment, provide the correct reference and wait. If your definition of bad blood is simply you fell out with your employer, you're probably ok. Your client won't care in all likelihood. If bad blood = some form of misconduct on your part then it may cause an issue.

But trying to bury this employment won't help your cause at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

After 5 years unless you really, really did annoy people no one will remember a think.

Just write it on the list and don't worry about it
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
        Hi..I have left a past permie job(5 yrs back) with bad blood with the HR that may be on record....Now, a new contract opp requires emp references(for BPSS) that covers this job....what r my options to give their ref?
        All they will do is confirm that you worked for them. If they start badmouthing you, then it opens them up to the possibility of legal action.

Comment

Declare it, remember HR is there to protect the employer.

Saying anything other than "they worked here from x date to y date in the capacity of z" would fall outside of protecting the employer - why open themselves up for a civil suit unless they have to. Just keep it polite and to the minimum facts required.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
            All they will do is confirm that you worked for them. If they start badmouthing you, then it opens them up to the possibility of legal action.
            Not if it is factual

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
              Not if it is factual
              Every bit of advice I've received from an hr lawyer is don't say anything beyond dates.

Even if it was gross misconduct for theft unless it went to police and there is either a directly connected caution or sentence.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Every bit of advice I've received from an hr lawyer is don't say anything beyond dates.

Even if it was gross misconduct for theft unless it went to police and there is either a directly connected caution or sentence.
                Reading through the advice on giving references on the web also back this up. The guides say the employer can give factual feedback but then there are reams information of what might happen if the ex-employer gets it wrong which makes for scary reading. Hardly surprising they stick to start and end dates and walk away from it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Agree with that, cover your arse is number 1, just merely pointing out it can be a negative one as long as factual

Comment

Working...
                  X