• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent/Agency getting their come-uppance - a tale of greed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    I’m not sure what, if anything, the client co gets out of knowing the agency’s cut.
    If you think we contractors don't like getting ripped off, end clients reeeeeaaaaalllllly don't like getting ripped off.

Forgetting the "we get part of the agents money" versus "the agent gets part of our money argument, either way, the end client will be very interested to find out the actual percentage the agent is taking, especially if it is more than the agent said they were taking.

For you the contractor, it does affect you. You might be very expensive without knowing it (or rather, more expensive than you though) and this may affect your chances of being renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      If you think we contractors don't like getting ripped off, end clients reeeeeaaaaalllllly don't like getting ripped off.

Forgetting the "we get part of the agents money" versus "the agent gets part of our money argument, either way, the end client will be very interested to find out the actual percentage the agent is taking, especially if it is more than the agent said they were taking.

For you the contractor, it does affect you. You might be very expensive without knowing it (or rather, more expensive than you though) and this may affect your chances of being renewed.
      Yeah – I suppose I didn’t think of it that way. My own circumstances of working means I rarely, if ever, get a contract renewed.* I didn’t really give the effect it has on renewals much thought.

*I’m not rubbish, really! I tend to work on fixed prices contracts for 90% of the time.

Comment

Agencies are entitled to a margin, and I agree with the poster who says that they provide a useful HR outsourced service.

My only point is that they are not allowed to misrepresent. That is entirely fair. If I made up my CV would that be allowed? If a client lied about the rate? No.

Comment

Well done kevpuk. The power of linked in :-)

With these tactics, it's no wonder agencies make contractors sign clauses about not disclosing rates to clients, even before they go to interviews.

Please pm me the agency name. I will add them to my blacklist.

Comment

can you pm them to me also? I'd like to know who they are so that I can avoid them. Well done for sorting it all out!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Client pays £500pd gross, agents takes £50, KevPuk agrees £450, Agent asks KevPuk to take £400 and the client to pay £550. Client finds out, drops agent for 3 months.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                Client pays £500pd gross, agents takes £50, KevPuk agrees £450, Agent asks KevPuk to take £400 and the client to pay £550. Client finds out, drops agent for 3 months.
                Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

Comment

Just because.......not that anyone will care......been with ClientCo now since Jan 2014, with major project finally due to complete at end of year. That will take me to 3yrs and that is a whole lot of £50/day that original Agent lost out on by playing silly bu$%ers!

#justsaying
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                    Just because.......not that anyone will care......been with ClientCo now since Jan 2014, with major project finally due to complete at end of year. That will take me to 3yrs and that is a whole lot of £50/day that original Agent lost out on by playing silly bu$%ers!

#justsaying
                    <nluk>I hope you're not acting like a permie after that long with the same client. You'll give us all a bad name</nluk>

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                      <nluk>I hope you're not acting like a permie after that long with the same client. You'll give us all a bad name</nluk>
                      Hehe, absolutely not. Had it not been for significant schedule changes over various extensions, and being accepted as a cantankerous contractor who doesn't play the corporate game......I wouldn't have made it to this point. Of course, was a sad day when 24-month rule hit the horizon
                      latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X