• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday start of another without contract ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so .. the conclusion :
    - Bench average 2 months is almost the norm (ie: no panic until 3-4)
    - as long as warchest for it
    - Contracting is still worth rather than permies, most people think contractors like the money (which is also true) but actually we like the flexibility / time off and therefore quality of living better (ie: enjoy a WHOLE summer with your kid)

In my case I have all those 3 reasons above to keep going, and actually I am only week 4 of bench, and taking Xmas and NY in the middle it's kind of a normal dead period, so I am not stressed really, having good current leads from pimps so fingers crossed should get back soon.

As @riffpie said shame it's this weather which is why I am eager to restart soon.

Comment

Perfect bench time would be finish contract in June with shedloads in warchest. Then pick up top paying contract starting in September all done and dusted. Three months of with no hassle....

(Although I would worry it'd get pulled before september lol).
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nicofars View Post
        Thanks for reminding me.
        My main reasons is to NOT have all the internal politics b**llsh*t, 360 rounds and brown-nozing to manager so that you can get your £200 bonus.
        That's as much about choosing the right company to go permie with. I worked as a permie in 3 companies before going contracting and never had this. Annual reviews were more a case of "what do you want to develop next year and how do you think this year went" and took 30min or so a year. Hardly onerous.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by nicofars View Post
          so .. the conclusion :
          - Bench average 2 months is almost the norm (ie: no panic until 3-4)
          - as long as warchest for it
          - Contracting is still worth rather than permies, most people think contractors like the money (which is also true) but actually we like the flexibility / time off and therefore quality of living better (ie: enjoy a WHOLE summer with your kid)

In my case I have all those 3 reasons above to keep going, and actually I am only week 4 of bench, and taking Xmas and NY in the middle it's kind of a normal dead period, so I am not stressed really, having good current leads from pimps so fingers crossed should get back soon.

As @riffpie said shame it's this weather which is why I am eager to restart soon.
          I am on the bench now since the end of December. What I hate about contracting is the unpredictably of client decisions and circumstances.

It used to be that a 6 month contract actually lasted 6 months. Last year, my naivety taught me a valuable lesson. 6 months ended up as 3.5 months at a certain digital agency running an agile project.

I have always asked interviews in contract (and permanent) how many months work is in the project. I even tightened this question to be specific. "So this is a contract of 6 month, will I actually get 6 months work out of it?", the answer has been yes at the time. [Why would a manager lie unless he is a liar?]

My first 2013 contract was ended for commercial reasons. I liked the digital agency. The pay was a bit lower than usual, but I learned a new skill called Adobe Experience Manager, which proved to vital important for the 3rd contract of 2013.

I was on the bench for 2 months during late Spring, I managed to get a 3 month contract at a bank with the usual promises of extensions. My other "3 month with contract was not extended, because the manager lied, "there were problems with your technical output." The exit feedback from one of the business analysts who was completely overworked on 3 simultaneous projects. She conveniently forgot I was heading over to the USA for a holiday. I did tell her weeks before and reminded her in the same week to go.

I got back from the USA and immediately landed a contract within week, because the client wanted AEM experience as well as Java. Cool! Unfortunately the luck was not on side again. My last contract was stopped early, because actually the higher business was making permanent people redundant and the decision to stop contractors came from the USA executives rather the UK. The manager allowed me graciously work up to Xmas Eve.

In my conclusion, I believe "working contract with extensions" is to be taken with a pinch of salt. You are temporary resource is literally taken as fact nowadays.

The other side of this, is that some contractors fare better than others. I haven't put my finger on the solution of walking from one contract to the next yet. (I managed to do it once last year by impressing in a pair-programming test.)

I just wish that the time on bench was predictable so I could get cheaper holidays, submit papers to conferences and run a training day or two or do something useful. Then there is dealing with recruitment agents ...

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
            I am on the bench now since the end of December. What I hate about contracting is the unpredictably of client decisions and circumstances.

It used to be that a 6 month contract actually lasted 6 months. Last year, my naivety taught me a valuable lesson. 6 months ended up as 3.5 months at a certain digital agency running an agile project.

I have always asked interviews in contract (and permanent) how many months work is in the project. I even tightened this question to be specific. "So this is a contract of 6 month, will I actually get 6 months work out of it?", the answer has been yes at the time. [Why would a manager lie unless he is a liar?]

My first 2013 contract was ended for commercial reasons. I liked the digital agency. The pay was a bit lower than usual, but I learned a new skill called Adobe Experience Manager, which proved to vital important for the 3rd contract of 2013.

I was on the bench for 2 months during late Spring, I managed to get a 3 month contract at a bank with the usual promises of extensions. My other "3 month with contract was not extended, because the manager lied, "there were problems with your technical output." The exit feedback from one of the business analysts who was completely overworked on 3 simultaneous projects. She conveniently forgot I was heading over to the USA for a holiday. I did tell her weeks before and reminded her in the same week to go.

I got back from the USA and immediately landed a contract within week, because the client wanted AEM experience as well as Java. Cool! Unfortunately the luck was not on side again. My last contract was stopped early, because actually the higher business was making permanent people redundant and the decision to stop contractors came from the USA executives rather the UK. The manager allowed me graciously work up to Xmas Eve.

In my conclusion, I believe "working contract with extensions" is to be taken with a pinch of salt. You are temporary resource is literally taken as fact nowadays.

The other side of this, is that some contractors fare better than others. I haven't put my finger on the solution of walking from one contract to the next yet. (I managed to do it once last year by impressing in a pair-programming test.)

I just wish that the time on bench was predictable so I could get cheaper holidays, submit papers to conferences and run a training day or two or do something useful. Then there is dealing with recruitment agents ...
            I just started a contract since Tuesday last. One minute there is no contract then the next the interview is the offer that you and the client agree.

My best advice: investment banking is now for mugs and only brave ones at that. Be prepared to look at opportunities in different industry sectors. Work with different recruitment agents. Keep track of agents in a spreadsheet and keep accurate records of what they do for you. Keep your contacts up to update and cross reference with agents action. Then you will know, which agents waste your waste and those that are genuinely helpful and useful. If you are now on the bench, make the most of your quality time: go to conferences, learn new technology, clean up your house and room; spend precious time with loved lines. Read the pinned items in this forum too!
            Last edited by rocktronAMP; 5 February 2014, 19:31. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
              I just started a contract since Tuesday last. One minute there is no contract then the next the interview is the offer that you and the client agree.

My best advice: investment banking is now for mugs and only brave ones at that. Be prepared to look at opportunities in different industry sectors. Work with different recruitment agents. Keep track of agents in a spreadsheet and keep accurate records of what they do for you. Keep your contacts up to update and cross reference with agents action. Then you will know, which agents waste your waste and those that are genuinely helpful and useful. If you are now on the bench, make the most of your quality time: go to conferences, learn new technology, clean up your house and room; spend precious time with loved lines. Read the pinned items in this forum too!
              excellent advice.

Comment

Out since the beginning of September.... not an interview or hint of one since....

War chest gone. Onto credit card. {Sigh}

Started looking at Permie roles last week.... With London rent as it is now I'll be paying 50% of cash in hand on just basic survival. {Sigh}

Comment

Originally posted by infosec View Post
                  Out since the beginning of September.... not an interview or hint of one since....

Started looking at Permie roles last week.... With London rent as it is now I'll be paying 50% of cash in hand on just basic survival. {Sigh}
                  Thats not good. Not even one interview?

Do you have a rare skillset or something?

Got to be honest, if I was looking in London (I'm not) confident I could get something pretty soon. As it is, I'm restricted by location.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by infosec View Post

Have you got like one skill?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      Have you got like one skill?
                      No, 17 years experience in IT. Server/network/gateway background and then into InfoSec and InfoSec management. Can manage InfoSec for a large enterprise, and have done previously....

+But+ took a few years off and went travelling at the start of the recession ;-)

Had one 6 month long contract since back (at a FTSE 50) but hard to break down the perception that I'm not 'up to date'. Impossible to get past Agency/HR it seems. Confident if I can talk to the actual hiring manager things would be fine.

Also InfoSec jobs have gone mad for CISSP/CISM exams so booked into doing them later this year (even though they hold little value imho).

Looking UK, Europe, Asia, Pacific (have relevant passport), Middle East......

Comment

Working...
                      X