• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how to drop contract "nicely" few days before start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to drop contract "nicely" few days before start

As per title, after weeks on the bench I am now having too many choices (as many did warn me that it will happen eventually!)
    So I am going to drop a contract with a pimp who still think I am ok to start the gig in a few days (I didn't sign anything yet BTW), in favour for another one better paid and more interesting.

How can I make it nicely, well I think it's a rhetorical question since there is no way to make the pimp happy not the client on his side (although this client is a joke since I know him from previous life).
    Anyway, sure one of you guys have experienced that in the past, trying to refuse politely but keeping good relationship for the future. Any thoughts ?

Originally posted by nicofars View Post
    As per title, after weeks on the bench I am now having too many choices (as many did warn me that it will happen eventually!)
    So I am going to drop a contract with a pimp who still think I am ok to start the gig in a few days (I didn't sign anything yet BTW), in favour for another one better paid and more interesting.

How can I make it nicely, well I think it's a rhetorical question since there is no way to make the pimp happy not the client on his side (although this client is a joke since I know him from previous life).
    Anyway, sure one of you guys have experienced that in the past, trying to refuse politely but keeping good relationship for the future. Any thoughts ?
    Just tell them as soon as possible; explain that something that better matches your skill-set and offers a better daily rate has become available and you’re making a decision for your best interests. Wish them well in filling the contract, or better recommend somebody if you know of anybody looking in that field and move on.

Agents come across this all the time, and fortunately, from their perspective in your case, you’re letting them know before contracts have been signed & before you’ve started on site.

Comment

How have you gotten yourself in to a situation where you will be starting in a few days but have not seen, checked and signed a contract?

+1 To previous post but be prepared for a load of crap from the agent. They will probably be pretty unhappy and possibly threaten you with legal action and all sorts. He might threaten but will never follow it through so just take it on the chin, don't rise to it and just let it blow over.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 27 January 2014, 16:04.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Either

a) let the agent know now that you are now unavailable. Explain that you have another offer that you are accepting. There is no point in explaining why you aren't doing the role, you want to get off the phone as soon as possible, and they need to crack on with finding someone who can do the job.

or

b) take the contract and exercise your right of substitution to get someone else in. Make some money on the project by getting someone cheaper than you.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          How have you gotten yourself in to a situation where you will be starting in a few days but have not seen, checked and signed a contract?
          The OP didn't say that they hadn't seen or checked the contract, just that they hadn't signed it yet.

If the OP has accepted the contract, however, then they may be in for some pain, regardless of whether the actual paperwork has been signed or not.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
            Just tell them as soon as possible; explain that something that better matches your skill-set and offers a better daily rate has become available and you’re making a decision for your best interests. Wish them well in filling the contract, or better recommend somebody if you know of anybody looking in that field and move on.

Agents come across this all the time, and fortunately, from their perspective in your case, you’re letting them know before contracts have been signed & before you’ve started on site.
            +1, That's business, do you think the agent would be worrying about 'nicely' informing you at the 11th hr that the client had performed a last minute u-turn and canned the role (as does happen).

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
              The OP didn't say that they hadn't seen or checked the contract, just that they hadn't signed it yet.
              Call it a hunch.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yeah, get it over with and get off the phone ASAP.

Doesn't matter what you say the agent will throw a fit, question your professionalism, say you'll never get a role through them again, threaten you with legal action etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  yeah, get it over with and get off the phone ASAP.

Doesn't matter what you say the agent will throw a fit, question your professionalism, say you'll never get a role through them again, threaten you with legal action etc etc.
                  +1, But if they think they can make a quid out of you in the future will be straight on the phone acting as your best mate again...

Comment

the sooner you let them know your circumstances have changed, the sooner they can get going on finding a replacement.

no explanations needed, you just got a better deal, thats all.
                    if you can recommend someone, all the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X