• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Expenses

I have recently set up a Limited Company in line with the Financial Contract I work on. Being new to the world of 'self employment' I am keen to seek advice on what I am OK to claim on expenses.

I rent a flat each month around the area my contract is based. My flat is several hundred miles away from my registered business address (home). My primary home is owned by my parents however I maintain a small payment each month to them towards the house, therefore Am I able to claim the full amount of rent as expenses for the flat I live in whilst working on my current contract?

Do you go home to your house every weekend when you aren't working?

If no then you can't claim.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What is with the raft of new posters not bothering to do one iota of research before asking basic questions today?

One of our sockie masters is on the bench or something?

Just in case he is real then.. Speak to your accountant... and give him all the facts and be honest. From your description we don't know if you plan on living in the flat and are trying to pull a fast one or not.

EDIT : Saying that I think our sockie masters would at least know the correct area of the forum to post this question in.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 26 February 2014, 14:20.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Logically (and I know that HMRC don't work logically) - Where are you registered for Council Tax?

My "old" accountant posed this very question to me, since it is a residency test...hence when working away, I always stay in hotels, or rent a room in someone's home.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Have a look at the search function detail in the link below. All sorts of questions have been asked about flats from bone fide situations to people that didn't have permanent homes and wanted to put their temp home through the books etc etc. Some interesting situations that might match yours. Best place is your accountant though.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            Logically (and I know that HMRC don't work logically) - Where are you registered for Council Tax?

My "old" accountant posed this very question to me, since it is a residency test...hence when working away, I always stay in hotels, or rent a room in someone's home.
            You have to pay council tax and other utilities for properties you live solely in whether their first, second or subsequent properties. Where you are registered to vote and have your post sent to is more of a clue to where you actually live.

The issue I had with this question is that there is no mention of going home at weekends which makes the poster look like he is trying to fiddle his expenses.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't think this would be allowable - an expense should be an additional cost incurred wholly and exclusively because of the contract - paying a token few quid to mum and dad each month is hardly the same as renting/paying mortgage on a property and then having to pay rent/hotel costs whilst you're away on contract. I would also agree that it sounds as though the OP is staying pretty much permanently at his rental place.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
              X