• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to discuss a statement of work need in interview process?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to discuss a statement of work need in interview process?

Hi,

I'm been offered a contract after 3 rapid fire interviews with a company. It is via a large agency. I have accepted subject to contract details and waiting for the on boarding team to contact me today.

I didn't manage to bring up ir35/need for a statement of work in the interview process. They did provide a clear 'job description' which accurately reflects the projects I will undertake for them. I will be outside of ir35 in all of the key areas.

When is the best time to sort out a statement of work? During but before you sign the contract? Or sort it out in the first week onsite? Hard to contact the 'onsite liaison/hiring manager' directly until I start in these situations....

It will be the first statement of work I've produced (yes, I know!) so does any kind soul have a template or outline to get me started? Key words or areas to cover?

The SOW is a fundamental part of your contract in that it spells out what you've agreed to do/deliver for the client and timescales etc. Do it now, once you're on site you can use change control to amend it if and when the requirements change, but you absolutely need to agree it up front.

Comment

You will be getting QDOS or B&C to do a review of your contract before you start won't you?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You will be getting QDOS or B&C to do a review of your contract before you start won't you?
        Yes, qdos.

Comment

Originally posted by infosec View Post
          Yes, qdos.
          Btw, last year qdos reviewed my contract and didn't mention the lack of a statement of work. Should they have raised it?

(I did exchange an email with the 'onsite liaison' outlining the 7 projects I was to do during the contract term and asked him to confirm via the same email - but qdos knew nothing of this).

Comment

Before you sign the contract is the best time to sort out the SOW in my experience. I learned the hard way the problem with turning up on site without an SOW. Total nightmare, and I really learned a lot from that experience. Client thought I would be doing something which I've never done before. We ended up parting ways after only a couple of weeks.

Comment

I agree with GillsMan. Interview is for deciding whether you both want to go ahead subject to sorting out paperwork, and that is part of the paperwork. Plus, the bit between the interview and signing the contracts, when the agent has his commission in his sight but not his pocket yet, is the by far the easiest time to get them to agree to doing things properly.

Comment

Working...
              X