• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

additions to the top 10 tricks used by recruitment agencies for rate cuts, references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    Just had this in my inbox for a Java contract in Berlin:
    You will also be kitted out with the best tools in the industry where you will have MacBook Pro Retina laptop AND two large 27” monitors so you can be fully immersed in code.

The rate we can pay is between 200-250 euro a day but hopefully the above will make it slightly more interesting if this sounds like a low rate to you.

I'll just take a higher rate thanks.
    Do you get to walk out with the kit at the end of it? Even if you did, that's taking the piss.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Do you get to walk out with the kit at the end of it? Even if you did, that's taking the piss.
      That would depend on the definition of 'end', I suppose. "I've decided, having been here for one day, that I don't like this gig, so I'm terminating now. Oh, and I'll be taking all this kit with me". I wouldn't even bother billing for that day if they let me get away with it. They can keep their €250.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        And into the typing pool?
        Haha, yeah looking for that pay rise!

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
          Just had this in my inbox for a Java contract in Berlin:
          You will also be kitted out with the best tools in the industry where you will have MacBook Pro Retina laptop AND two large 27” monitors so you can be fully immersed in code.

The rate we can pay is between 200-250 euro a day but hopefully the above will make it slightly more interesting if this sounds like a low rate to you.

I'll just take a higher rate thanks.
          The language is crude and not only does it suggest ignorant arrogance but it stinks of youthful brashness. In my experience, knowledgeable agents learned early in their career that treating contractors contemptuously does not further their cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
            The language is crude and not only does it suggest ignorant arrogance but it stinks of youthful brashness. In my experience, knowledgeable agents learned early in their career that treating contractors contemptuously does not further their cause.
            Then why does Dodgy still do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Then why does Dodgy still do it?
              Maybe he prefers 'sleb' notoriety to financial success?

Comment

Working...
              X