• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for contract after a year trying to start my own business - CV advice please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for contract after a year trying to start my own business - CV advice please?

I'm back looking for contract PM roles in telecoms after a year trying to start my own travel agency. I was overly optimistic with the earnings forecast, it had to be parked for a bit. Do I mention this in my CV or just leave a gap?

Mention it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Mention it.
      +1
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I don't think leaving a gap is even an option. Mention it and be proud of it.

I was in a similar position. I just said I tried and it didn't work. It looks a bit suspicious but there you go.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It does sound like mentioning is the way forward.

I'll have to think of the skills that are transferrable. The challenge is to present myself as someone energised and back in the game as opposed to someone "just looking to make some money".

Comment

Deffo mention it. Apart from anything else if you go for a finance or secure role they will have to look in to your past and any discrepancies on your CV will likely end in you being walked. I know a guy was asked to leave Barclays after the detailed credit search they do raised a red flag. Never found out what it was exactly though.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bluedeyedboy View Post
              Thanks for the responses. It does sound like mentioning is the way forward.

I'll have to think of the skills that are transferrable. The challenge is to present myself as someone energised and back in the game as opposed to someone "just looking to make some money".
              Look on it as evidence of your proactive, "can do" attitude, entrepreneurial flair and refusal to give up. You tried it, stuck at it for a year and it didn't work out and so now you're trying something else.

Everyone is looking to make some money, if you're charging market rates and your skills match up then you'll get offered a role. If a client drops you because of your business venture then they're being short-sighted...unless the client is a travel agent...

Comment

Working...
              X