• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unclear Notice Period in Contract! Help Needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
    "Employment"? "Salary"? "Probationary period"? This entire thing reads like an IR35 timebomb.
    sorry its a perm role! not contractor

Comment

Originally posted by theboycj1 View Post
      sorry its a perm role! not contractor
      Aha. That's a relief. Never thought I'd be saying that about permiedom.

Comment

Contra proferentem means that where a clause is ambiguous or there are conflicting clauses in a contract, the one which is more disadvantageous to the person who wrote the contract is the one which takes precedence, unless they can prove categorically why the other clause should apply.

In your case, your employer would have to go to court to prove that they have a good reason to insist that you give the longer notice period, and that's not going to happen in your case.

If you are within the three month probationary period - notice period is one week.
        If you are outside the three month probationary period - notice period for you to give is one month, for them it's either one month (contract) or three months (letter).

If they were giving you notice, then I would consult a professional to see whether the letter can be interpreted as part of the contract, but since they aren't, that's a moot point.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X