• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Availability of contracts after the start of a new financial year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Availability of contracts after the start of a new financial year

I'm a .NET MVC developer and my 1st contract ends on March 31st. During the last year I was working all weekends, had no vacation and now I can use a two week holiday.

There are plenty of contracts advertised last few days, but I'm wondering if that would be the case after April 6th. It may be that managers are:
    1. Trying to spend the remaining of their 2013 budget.
    2. Starting new projects on right after the new financial year.

I'd appreciate advice and insight on if I should start looking for a new contract ASAP or wait until mid-April.

There really isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to that question. Some clients will spend now, some will spend after financial year end. Others will spend the money as and when the need arises, regardless of what the time of year is.

Some companies' budgets are done on the company year dates, which might not be April to April.

My advice, which is pretty basic to be fair, is have a look now. If you see a gig you like, apply for it. Continue into mid-April if you've not secured a new gig.

Comment

Personally, I've never seen this glut of financial new year contracts ever materialise (.Net MVC here too).

I've secured my last 5 gigs in December or August which are supposedly the deadest times of the year for new opportunities.

So I suspect you're not going to miss a sharp spike in the market by taking your 2 weeks off.

Comment

I have given up trying to predict the market. I have been told for over 10 years that C++ is dead (am still in a gig using it now) etc. Look when you want a gig, there seems to be as much chance of them being available then as any other time.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Look for a contract and book up your two weeks off. If anything arises , interview around your break and go on holiday. If the client and project is any good, they will wait two weeks for you.

Comment

I just keep applying for the matching gigs advertised, it comes when it comes.. don't bother abt financial year ends/starts.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              I have been told for over 10 years that C++ is dead (am still in a gig using it now) etc.
              C++ here, looking for next gig..

Comment

Originally posted by raphal View Post
                I just keep applying for the matching gigs advertised, it comes when it comes.. don't bother abt financial year ends/starts.
                I don't even bother with the gig advertisements as most, if not all, are nothing but bollacks! I upload my CV to Jobsite, Jobserve and CWjobs, update it everyday and wait for the phone to ring. 10 out of 10 permie and contract roles have come through pimps finding me on Jobsite so perhaps I drop the other two.
                "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
                  I don't even bother with the gig advertisements as most, if not all, are nothing but bollacks! I upload my CV to Jobsite, Jobserve and CWjobs, update it everyday and wait for the phone to ring. 10 out of 10 permie and contract roles have come through pimps finding me on Jobsite so perhaps I drop the other two.
                  Thats just your market. Doesn't work like that for every role / skillset.

Comment

Working...
                  X