• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A week's notice of termination - around Easter, is that 4 working days or 5?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A week's notice of termination - around Easter, is that 4 working days or 5?

Example - I give notice on Monday. I expect to be paid a "week", but I must also expect to work a 'week' too.

So, would I...

1) Invoice for and work 4 days, and give my staff pass/laptop back on Thursday before Easter;

OR

2) Invoice and work 5 days, and give my staff pass/laptop back on Wednesday after Easter?

Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
    Example - I give notice on Monday. I expect to be paid a "week", but I must also expect to work a 'week' too.

So, would I...

1) Invoice for and work 4 days, and give my staff pass/laptop back on Thursday before Easter;

OR

2) Invoice and work 5 days, and give my staff pass/laptop back on Wednesday after Easter?

What does your contract say?
    • Calendar days?
    • Working Days?

If your contract is silent on the matter, you need to discuss with your client not a bunch of randoms on the interweb thingy like me...

Comment

Negotiate it with your client to find a solution that suits you both best.

Just out of interest isn't giving your notice in on Monday means the period starts Tuesday as Monday won't be counted as a full day?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A couple of things:
        (1) "a week", to most reasonable people, can mean "at least a week". So if you take the initiative and say your last working day will be the Wednesday after Easter, I'd be surprised if they pushed back at you.
        (2) you are talking about the date on which your contract ends, and if your contract is like most IT contracts, it is a framework agreement saying under what terms any days worked are to be treated/performed/paid. You can't assume that your bum will be required to be in contact with a client's seat, and therefore chargeable, on all of those days. So in theory (and depending on your contract terms) you, or the client, could decide that the number of days actually worked during the notice period is 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
          Mutuality of Obligation anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

What does your contract say?
            • Calendar days?
            • Working Days?
            According to the OP it says 'week'. Days don't come into the equation.

edit: sorry slightly unhelpful I know. If it really just says 'week' then to me that is a calendar week (7 consecutive days), and no more.
            Last edited by CheeseSlice; 13 April 2014, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              According to the OP it says 'week'. Days don't come into the equation.

edit: sorry slightly unhelpful I know. If it really just says 'week' then to me that is a calendar week (7 consecutive days), and no more.
              Substitute 'weeks' for 'days' /shrug. The OP talked about invoicing days too. For your assumption to have any bearing the OP would be talking about invoice for a whole week or a part week.

Principle is the same, what is in the contract?, if it is silent then talk to the client.

Comment

Best to discuss with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Negotiate it with your client to find a solution that suits you both best.

Just out of interest isn't giving your notice in on Monday means the period starts Tuesday as Monday won't be counted as a full day?
                  It didn't at the last place I was at when they decided to cut my contract short. I was served notice at 2pm and they counted that day as being part of the notice period.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                  X