• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Wonder why everyone doesnt do it? :-)
    Because bankruptcy is a serious step to take, and not everyone is genuinely bankrupt. However, if you are bankrupt, then there is always a case to be made for taking that route out and getting rid of the burden of debts which otherwise can haunt for many years (particularly if there is never likely to be a scenario when all the debts can realistically be discharged).

If everyone did it, of course, then we could have a thread about what a worrying trend it's becoming...
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Because bankruptcy is a serious step to take, and not everyone is genuinely bankrupt. However, if you are bankrupt, then there is always a case to be made for taking that route out and getting rid of the burden of debts which otherwise can haunt for many years (particularly if there is never likely to be a scenario when all the debts can realistically be discharged).

If everyone did it, of course, then we could have a thread about what a worrying trend it's becoming...
      It sounds like there may already be a worrying new trend.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        If he has debts that he cannot pay, then that is what the bankruptcy laws are for.

Of course, you could just leave him be, as he's obviously in a tough spot and asking for help in a professional forum.
        So he would go bankrupt by caving in and giving all his money to HMRC in this case?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          So he would go bankrupt by caving in and giving all his money to HMRC in this case?
          I don't know Brillo's situation, but if his assets exceed his liabilities, then he's solvent (I think).
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

So bail out owing tax which the rest of us have to pay ultimately and keep your pension for old age?

Wonder why everyone doesnt do it? :-)
            Go and read this http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ct-2008-a.html paying attention to the suicides and divorces this has already caused people.

Then either apologise or be prepared for a very hard life on this forum.....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Go and read this http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ct-2008-a.html paying attention to the suicides and divorces this has already caused people.

WHS

I'm all for a bit of baiting the BN66 collective when it's politicising, but this is an individual case looking for specific help in a very difficult situation, and what's more a CUK member of good standing.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

WHS

I'm all for a bit of baiting the BN66 collective when it's politicising, but this is an individual case looking for specific help in a very difficult situation, and what's more a CUK member of good standing.
                And also pretty damned rich coming from somebody not averse to claiming JSA when in between contracts (yes I get that it's legal/above boardallowed/blah blah but it doesn't sit right with me for a presumably well-renumerated contractor to claim something that is intended for people with genuine hardships, just cos you're waiting to land your next contract).

Comment

WHS

WHS apart from the last bit.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

OK. Fair enough. BP I apologise. Of course, I dont know your situation.

I do have a thing about people taking the easy way out with things like bankrupcy (my own brother tried it) but in your case I apologise unreservedly for being unfair to you.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

OK. Fair enough. BP I apologise. Of course, I dont know your situation.

I do have a thing about people taking the easy way out with things like bankrupcy (my own brother tried it) but in your case I apologise unreservedly for being unfair to you.
                      CUK Rule 1: Never apologise.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                      X