• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview/Applying from a foriegn location

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jtnkathuria View Post
    Is Big Data still not hot in UK? Well, that is strange.
    That's not what I said.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well, that scares me. What i have check in the resgiter of sponsors is that the company that i am in talks with is a A-rated sponsor.
      If the company is a registered sponsor then it's permie role on offer, not a contract. And the company would have to do a resident labour market test to prove no local or EU citizens could do the job and the job has to be advertised locally.

You can't legally contract on a T2 visa - it's only for direct employer/employee relationships. There are people that will act as intermediaries but they will take about 30/40% of the contract value, not tell you it's illegal and leave you in the lurch when the UKVI curtail the visa and bans you for 10 years for deception.

Comment

Well, that scares me. What i have check in the resgiter of sponsors is that the company that i am in talks with is a A-rated sponsor.
        If they are A-rated and all legal you won't mind naming them will you......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          my guess is that they are as legal as the EBT schemes others on here signed up to....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

...... But on technology front US and UK roads are actually paved with gold not just in terms of money but the quality of work you get..
            That's a new one on me and I've worked with offshore guys for decades. Most of the technical work we did in the Oracle market got sent offshore, and by we I mean the major consultancies.

If you are genuine and really want to break into that golden market, then search on the jobsites. There clearly are some 'consultancies' offering sponsorship for relative newbies.

Entirely your decision to make as to whether your entry is legal or illegal.

Comment

How long did it take you after you landed in the UK? Are you from IT? Can anybody from IT comment on the same? is 5 years experience respectable enough experience to land up a good contractor job, putting other things aside?
              Yes I'm an IT contractor. When I arrived I applied for both contracts and permanent. I had a at that moment 8 years of IT experience. It took me 3 months intensive applying and interviewing (mostly for perm), but then I was offered a contract and a perm role both at the same day. Made the mistake accepting the perm job as I was under the false impression it would give me and my family more security, was made redundant 6 months later. That was now almost 8 years ago and have never had much problems landing new contracts, the longest I've been on the bench was a bit under 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by zemoxyl View Post
                That's a new one on me and I've worked with offshore guys for decades. Most of the technical work we did in the Oracle market got sent offshore, and by we I mean the major consultancies.

If you are genuine and really want to break into that golden market, then search on the jobsites. There clearly are some 'consultancies' offering sponsorship for relative newbies.

Entirely your decision to make as to whether your entry is legal or illegal.
                Well, I am one of those offshore person and mostly here we do are support projects because implementation is mainly led from onshore. Also, mostly i intent to break into product market instead of services sector and i think UK and US are pretty strong there, not to mention, about the work culture and labor laws of these countries.

I am simple person so won't take a risk to come here illegally. Well, consider this as my homework stage and even i am trying to vet what the agency has said and going through the rules.

Would you mind guiding me how to look for such agencies or PM me some names?

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                That's not what I said.
                sorry i mistook it from your statement that your skills are not in that demand.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                If the company is a registered sponsor then it's permie role on offer, not a contract. And the company would have to do a resident labour market test to prove no local or EU citizens could do the job and the job has to be advertised locally.

You can't legally contract on a T2 visa - it's only for direct employer/employee relationships. There are people that will act as intermediaries but they will take about 30/40% of the contract value, not tell you it's illegal and leave you in the lurch when the UKVI curtail the visa and bans you for 10 years for deception.
                Yes, i am aware of resident labor market test and company has already warned me that it can be only glitch. Though, they seem optimistic.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Well, yes just to verify if everything what i am upto is legal. But i cannot name it now, because i may have mistook/misinterpreted/misrepresented what they have said. What i'll do is with a bit more research, i'll PM you the name because i am thinking to start this September so that i have my resume floated by January when actual job inflow starts but before that i need to be much more clear.

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Yes I'm an IT contractor. When I arrived I applied for both contracts and permanent. I had a at that moment 8 years of IT experience. It took me 3 months intensive applying and interviewing (mostly for perm), but then I was offered a contract and a perm role both at the same day. Made the mistake accepting the perm job as I was under the false impression it would give me and my family more security, was made redundant 6 months later. That was now almost 8 years ago and have never had much problems landing new contracts, the longest I've been on the bench was a bit under 2 months.
                Thanks a lot for your experience. Well, coming there and waiting for 3 months would put a lot of financial pressure on me. I will see if there some option to avoid that.

Finally, thanks to all of you for your insightful comments which just enlightening me with every post.
                Last edited by jtnkathuria; 7 May 2014, 08:57.

Comment

sorry i mistook it from your statement that your skills are not in that demand.
                  No, I said

I don't really see anything on your skills list that is so in demand that a client will wait for that long, unless you are going to be exceptionally cheap (remembering the minimum income to get a Tier-2 visa, of course).
                  If the client cannot find someone with the right skills who can start within their time frame, then they will have to look outside. I'm not convinced that having "had a training in Hadoop framework for Big Data" would be enough to convince a client to wait for your visa application process to complete, particularly if there is no guarantee that you will get the visa.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No, I said

If the client cannot find someone with the right skills who can start within their time frame, then they will have to look outside. I'm not convinced that having "had a training in Hadoop framework for Big Data" would be enough to convince a client to wait for your visa application process to complete, particularly if there is no guarantee that you will get the visa.
                    gotcha! Thanks.

Comment

So this is a permie job right'?

Comment

Working...
                      X