• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella first and switching to Ltd during same contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    To be fair if they won't consider a change in the contract mid stream ; swapping from umbrella to Ltd does require them to issue a new contract; then there's nothing you can do about it. It's their business decision.
    True, but the sames goes for me too. It is my decision if I decide to trade through Ltd and agency can do business with it or not. No party is oblidged to nothing here.

But being with the client on site already might strenghten my negotiating position IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
      You mean if you work 30 days and they terminate your contract on the 31st then you don't get paid anything for the 30 days work?

I don't think I'd be signing THAT contract whether I was Ltd or Umbrella.
      The contract as presented to me sucks:
      It says my ltd must provide contractor who opted out of 2003 agency regulations act.
      It says I will not get paid if my contract termintes first month.
      It says that agency can terminate my contract for any reason, no notice period from them is mentioned. Althoug I am oblidged to give notice to agency and client.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        Another factor, did you select your brolly on the basis of the pimps recommendation? If so the real reason is Jackmaster will lose out on his brolly backhander.
        I have selected brolly from pimps "approved list". I don't think agency will not get their cut in case I terminate the contract with Brolly. I can terminate brollys' contract anytime anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          Supplying goods or services within the UK. If your turnover of VAT taxable goods and services supplied within the UK for the previous 12 months is more than the current registration threshold of £81,000, or you expect it to go over that figure in the next 30 days alone, you must register for VAT. However, if your turnover has gone over the registration threshold temporarily then you may be able to apply for exception from registration - see the section later in this guide for more information.
          There is a section later in this guide on calculating your VAT taxable turnover.

That bit ... It's a moot argument as you will be better off being VAT registered.
          If you expect to earn more than £81000 in 30 days, then you are right. Of course, that means that you are averaging £2700 a day, which seems unlikely.

Even more unlikely is that you earn £2700 a day and are considering going via an umbrella.
          Last edited by TheFaQQer; 8 May 2014, 15:39.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by gardener View Post
            The contract as presented to me sucks:
            It says my ltd must provide contractor who opted out of 2003 agency regulations act.
            It says I will not get paid if my contract termintes first month.
            It says that agency can terminate my contract for any reason, no notice period from them is mentioned. Althoug I am oblidged to give notice to agency and client.
            I think the no notice is pretty standard. At the end of the day, most contractors (or a lot) are working on a project of some description. If a business decision is made to can that project or work stops for any other reason, then they want to be able to say they don't need you anymore.

I think, however, the fact that they can do that for 'any reason', and also not pay you for a month's work if the contract is terminated, means all they have to do is find 12 contractors and terminate each one on the last day of the month and not have to pay anyone for a whole year.

That's extreme and I'm sure wouldn't happen, but it sounds rubbish to me.

And I've never had a contract that I don't invoice weekly. So, by the time I get to the end of the month, there's only a week at most that I haven't yet been paid for.

Comment

Working...
            X