• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things are looking up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are looking up...

Currently in a gig due to complete end of August and I’ve been advised (by my agency) that a Purchase Order is to be raised to extend my contract.
    I’ve just been speaking to my client (the Project Manager) who says that there will be a requirement for more contract resources and that given my performance (his words) he wants me to coordinate these resources and manage their workload.

I’m happy to do this and obviously I will also expect a higher rate for these extra responsibilities. I’m currently drafting an email to my agency to let them know of these developments and that I expect a higher rate.

I have a figure in my head that I consider reasonable (taking into account market rates etc); I suspect the agency will try and beat me down so I intend to go in a little higher and see where we are.

Thing is, this is the first time I’ve been in this fortunate position and I want to get the communication right.

If anyone else has been in this position and can give me some pointers as to how to word the email (such as key phrases or traps to avoid) I would be most grateful.

Hi Agent,

I've just been talking to Mr Cash Cow about the potential for a change in role, which will be somewhat different to the one that I'm currently doing. As such, I will be looking to increase my daily rate by £1000 a day to account for the significant change in role.

When you are raising the new paperwork, please ensure that the new rate and role is reflected in the schedule of works.

Regards,

Contractor
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Hi Agent,

I've just been talking to Mr Cash Cow about the potential for a change in role, which will be somewhat different to the one that I'm currently doing. As such, I will be looking to increase my daily rate by £1000 a day to account for the significant change in role.

When you are raising the new paperwork, please ensure that the new rate and role is reflected in the schedule of works.

Regards,

Contractor
      £1000 per day?

I was hoping for a little more than that, but if you think that's reasonable...

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Comment

Hmm, is that role in your Statement of Work or is this D&C?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd want to make sure that all the people you are managing are contractors. Managing the client's own permies would be a big red flag to me on both IR35 (part and parcel) and political grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
            I'd want to make sure that all the people you are managing are contractors. Managing the client's own permies would be a big red flag to me on both IR35 (part and parcel) and political grounds.
            Can't see it having any implication at all on IR35 - as long as the management is related to workload management and co-ordination, rather than staff management.

If it were, you'd never get any contractor project managers, interim managers, programme managers...
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Can't see it having any implication at all on IR35 - as long as the management is related to workload management and co-ordination, rather than staff management.

If it were, you'd never get any contractor project managers, interim managers, programme managers...
              Yes, I wasn't clear. I was thinking about the "performance management" thing. i.e. reviews and appraisals.

Comment

Working...
              X