• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Margin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Margin

I've been out of the game for a while (joined the dark side) but have just started looking to hire a couple of guys to our team.

Agency margin (for a preferred supplier) is 15%.

Is that:
    a) taking the piss,
    b) about right,
    c) a bargain?

In my 10+ years of contracting before this job, I never had to suffer any more than 10%...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

If you are the hirer why do you care, thats betwen the contractor and agency. The agency tends not to reveal the percentage to the contractor, dependeing on the industry between 6-10 % is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      I've been out of the game for a while (joined the dark side) but have just started looking to hire a couple of guys to our team.

Agency margin (for a preferred supplier) is 15%.

Is that:
      a) taking the piss,
      b) about right,
      c) a bargain?

In my 10+ years of contracting before this job, I never had to suffer any more than 10%...
      Its not too bad. I wouldn't get too fussed about it, worry about the quality of the people they supply rather than who's getting what, if the contractors are happy and you're happy then theres no reason to let it get under your skin.

That aside 15% is well within reasonable terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        If you are the hirer why do you care, thats betwen the contractor and agency. The agency tends not to reveal the percentage to the contractor, dependeing on the industry between 6-10 % is the norm.
        Because I don't want contractors to be treated like crap, and I want a good deal for myco?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thats not about their treatment, their deal with the agency is their deal?

Comment

Thats not about their treatment, their deal with the agency is their deal?
            Suppose it's semantics rather than anything else. If they are happy with the rate then so be it.

If they are just taking the rate until something better comes along, I've lost the investment of my time in introducing the new guy to my team.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Suppose it's semantics rather than anything else. If they are happy with the rate then so be it.

If they are just taking the rate until something better comes along, I've lost the investment of my time in introducing the new guy to my team.
              I know contractors dont particularly like agents and we're seen as the bad guy, but most agents arent trying to rip contractors off by taking £500 a day paying them £200, in practice this is rare and almost non existent.

Comment

What level rates are we talking? 15% of 250 is a different issue to 15% of 600. The agency has to meet a certain figure to be profitable so margins (should) vary depending on rate range.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In the .NET space (IME) 10-15% is the norm.

He *should* care only if the agency is low-balling candidates without his knowledge because he is unlikely to end up with the best one (the best ones just won't apply).

He should *not* care because "20% is outrageous?!" because 20% of 450 GBP/day is 90 GBP and the company can well afford it. I am confident in saying that because they are hiring a contractor.

Transparency is the best policy, and if he is not getting candidates of sufficient quality, he should find additional budget for the role (whilst remaining calm about the agency margin).

Given that he knows the agency margin, if he feels the contractors are being "treated like carp" then it is *his* fault for not getting a decent budget for the role.

Alternatively, he should advertise direct himself....
                  Last edited by wonderboy; 20 June 2014, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What level rates are we talking? 15% of 250 is a different issue to 15% of 600. The agency has to meet a certain figure to be profitable so margins (should) vary depending on rate range.
                    Exactly, and most smaller agencies will be factoring their invoices and paying a hefty fee for the privilege, so about 30% of the agency 'profit' is eaten up in factoring costs. I know thats not your problem and its a cost of doing business for the agency, but its a consideration.

I dont know if this is the done thing here, but if you're looking for contract resources I can definitely help and would like to work with you Moscow Mule.

If me asking for business is a bit naughty on this forum then i'll obviously stop!

Comment

Working...
                    X