• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can an agency find out what rate you were on previously?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an agency find out what rate you were on previously?

Hi,

I realise that this is probably going to be deemed as another simple newbie question but I don't know that's why I'm asking. Be kind!

Can agencies find out your rate if they approach your previous manager or agency? Is there anyway they can know this.

Originally posted by sophia57 View Post
    Can agencies find out your rate if they approach your previous manager or agency?
    Is this a question about free will? Id say that there is such a thing, although it's probably deterministic. I'm not sure what value could be found in non-deterministic (i.e. random) free will.

Comment

Hi,

I realise that this is probably going to be deemed as another simple newbie question but I don't know that's why I'm asking. Be kind!

Can agencies find out your rate if they approach your previous manager or agency? Is there anyway they can know this.
      Yes, if the agent asks your previous agency and the previous agency tells them, they will know your previous rate. There isn't anything preventing that from happening, though in practice it doesn't happen often.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, they can find out.

As part of our service to our Clients, we carry out employment, education and reference checks on every contractor that goes on site and this includes speaking to previous employers/agencies

Comment

Why would they want to know?
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Can agencies find out your rate if they approach your previous manager or agency?
            Theoretically, yes - anyone might disclose the rate to someone else. There would be a data protection question in my mind, though - they shouldn't disclose it without your approval, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just a warning here, some banks do ask you to fill out your rate or salary when taking on contractors and/or permies.

They do check out everything you put on the form and then kick you out if there was incorrect info.

My advice, tell the truth or say nothing. You don't have to state your previous rate if you don't want to. You can also state your previous rate and simply ask for more.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
                Yes, they can find out.

As part of our service to our Clients, we carry out employment, education and reference checks on every contractor that goes on site and this includes speaking to previous employers/agencies
                Will you get all stroppy when you realise I lied to you about it in order to increase my rate on your offer?

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
                  Yes, they can find out.

Employment check? Fine, that won't disclose a daily rate.

Education check? Fine, that won't disclose a daily rate.

Reference check? Fine, that won't disclose a daily rate.

Are you sure you're cut out to be an agent?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Will you get all stroppy when you realise I lied to you about it in order to increase my rate on your offer?
                    No, but the end client may when they realise you lied on your application

Comment

Working...
                    X