• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexy contract that pays less?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexy contract that pays less?

Hey chaps, when it comes to choosing between a contract that pays 25% less but would look good on a CV and the other one, what's your reasoning?

IMHO - Sexi - think long game
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Mates tell me it's going to be difficult to up the rate after such a drop, and I tend to believe. The sexiness of the contract also remains to be established...

Comment

Take the money. You never know what a contract is like until you get there.

I worked for one of the world's biggest, most profitable and prestigious hedge funds last year. They treat IT like scum, contractors worse so. And word gets round the market - so what might have looked good on your CV 2 years ago now looks indifferent.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
          Mates tell me it's going to be difficult to up the rate after such a drop, and I tend to believe. The sexiness of the contract also remains to be established...
          This is the bit I don't get. How? The agents ask me what rate I need to work in x location, and I tell them.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Take the money. You never know what a contract is like until you get there.

I worked for one of the world's biggest, most profitable and prestigious hedge funds last year. They treat IT like scum, contractors worse so. And word gets round the market - so what might have looked good on your CV 2 years ago now looks indifferent.

HTH
            That's what I normally do

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
              That's what I normally do
              Take the money.

100 agents and 100 clients would have 200 entirely different views of sexiness. They cannot ALL be covered.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                IMHO - Sexi - think long game
                I like thinking long term, but I hate the agents lies.

Comment

The fact your are being offered this gig shows your CV is fine. If this one is in your lap then there will be others. Go for the money now and when you have a huge warchest and finances are going well at home then you can start about think rate cuts for gigs you fancy.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unless you are already comfortable in which case use the flexibility that contracting is supposed to offer and taken the one you like.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X