• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19 rescue deal for Self employed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It's all relative but I came *so* close to spending a chunk of my warchest on a BTL or similar. Ended up just leaving it while the Mrs wasn't working and I'm so glad of my risk-averse nature there!
    I spent a lot of this year thinking "you know, I could afford a slightly bigger mortgage". Glad I'm still on my super-conservative one I set up not too long after getting into contracting and fearing the whole thing ending one day.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      I spent a lot of this year thinking "you know, I could afford a slightly bigger mortgage". Glad I'm still on my super-conservative one I set up not too long after getting into contracting and fearing the whole thing ending one day.
      Yep! What's really scared me here is that I always worked on the assumption that no matter how bad, I could walk into a local IT Firm and get a £30-40k role with my eyes closed and a CV written in crayon and at least get food on the table.

Comment

Yep! What's really scared me here is that I always worked on the assumption that no matter how bad, I could walk into a local IT Firm and get a £30-40k role with my eyes closed and a CV written in crayon and at least get food on the table.
        Plan B is to tap my mate up and work in one of his warehouses picking sports gear.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It was on that basis I based my affordability for monthly repayments
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Plan B is to tap my mate up and work in one of his warehouses picking sports gear.
            Sounds like a bit of a gamble!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Not much use if one is a newbie self-employed so not submitted anything via self-assessment yet, or are in the early years where decent profit is a dream.

Universal basic income to cover food and the bills that aren't being frozen for now would be easier than loads of rules that still fail to give everyone the support they may need while there is no or little chance of income.

Main problem is no clear end to this so can't gauge how much of a safety net is required in terms of cash available to pay for the essentials. Could be a few months or could be into next year before anything like normality returns.
              Problem with UBI is people require vastly different amounts to stay afloat.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Problem with UBI is people require vastly different amounts to stay afloat.
                That's why this 80% up to 2.5k doesn't help a large cross-section of society. Anyone earning, say, 75k and spending most of that on a mortgage etc. (and without savings) is going to be pretty fooked and will need to rapidly re-evaluate and probably default if this lasts for more than a small number of months. You can call them cretins, but it's surprising how many people live like that.

Comment

It's the lower of £2917 or 80% of your net earnings

As per the Coronavirus bill which is currently going through the parliament it is lower of either £2917 or 80% of average earnings last three years.

We don't know yet Director/Shareholder Dividend+Salary will be eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    That's why this 80% up to 2.5k doesn't help a large cross-section of society. Anyone earning, say, 75k and spending most of that on a mortgage etc. (and without savings) is going to be pretty fooked and will need to rapidly re-evaluate and probably default if this lasts for more than a small number of months. You can call them cretins, but it's surprising how many people live like that.
                    Well they can get a mortgage holiday likely until this is over.

It's unclear if your employer can drop your salary to 2.5kpcm or not?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wijay@WISAccountancy View Post
                      As per the Coronavirus bill which is currently going through the parliament it is lower of either £2917 or 80% of average earnings last three years.

We don't know yet Director/Shareholder Dividend+Salary will be eligible.
                      I think we can make an educated guess

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X