• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19 rescue deal for Self employed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I think you're confusing an opposition amendment with a gov't amendment.

House of Commons Public Bill Committee Amendments: Coronavirus Bill pages 1-7

The gov't may accept it, but they probably won't because they're preparing something else.
    I don't think they'll accept it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      How can company money count as savings???
      They aren't savings, but they are arguably a very liquid asset if it's just cash lying around and you have the ability to pay yourself a dividend from those reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Can anyone give a straight answer as to whether 'we' can claim Universal Credit? Some saying self employed should. Does company money count as savings, for example?
        If you have company money then you're not technically "self employed". Self employed are those that run as sole traders without a limited company. Those people can apply for UC. Company savings don't count as savings for UC purposes. ISA's and personal cash savings do. I've heard the gov have announced a package for the self employed today. I need to go read up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          If you have company money then you're not technically "self employed". Self employed are those that run as sole traders without a limited company. Those people can apply for UC. Company savings don't count as savings for UC purposes. ISA's and personal cash savings do. I've heard the gov have announced a package for the self employed today. I need to go read up on it.
          Tea for the workers first. Priorities my boy, priorities.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Tea for the workers first. Priorities my boy, priorities.
            Both my bosses are taking a nap so I have a little respite for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
              Less than a grand a month - I wish! MrsG spends £700 on full livery for her nag of a horse
              That falls under all bills being frozen. As normal commerce is effectively on hold then all normal behaviour should also be on hold including requesting payment for services. They get paid by asking the government for a handout if they need one, until normality resumes and the debt issue is then addressed, somehow.

Been watching a bit of the live parliament stuff while they covered the self-employed assistance issue and it appears they're trying to devise a new system to cover all scenarios, and the issue with self-employed is that there are many scenarios. e.g. one can be self-employed while also earning money via PAYE, i.e. multiple sources of income.

Typically the government are looking at it in too much detail and will come up with something that only helps the majority.

The lib dem leader made a good point about seeing as self-employed use self-assessment then why can't the government claw back any undeserving handouts if the next self-assessment shows they didn't need it. i.e. pay out now while many are struggling for cash and worry about the debt when they worry about all the other debt they're racking up during these unprecedented times.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I've not really been following this too closely, so please correct me where I'm wrong!

Surely those PSC's with retained profits should not be looking for a handout from the Govt? I thought the whole point of contractors / business owners was that this is the risk you took and if out of work you use your war chest to cover?

I can understand those umbrellas, PAYE contractors asking as they are paying their full NICs etc.

If PSC's start getting handouts, does this not weaken the IR35 argument that the Govt are applying the same handouts to those who are permanent / PAYE contractors?

If the Govt do not provide this to PSC's then this is an argument that we are completely different and not treated the same, as they have been spouting.

Comment

I'm thoroughly confused by all of this (I'm sure I'm not alone!)

As someone who works as a contractor in the public sector but inside IR35, what am I classed as for the purposes of getting financial assistance should I need it? Employed? Self-Employed? or something entirely different? It seems to me inside IR35 folk are neither one thing or another.

My umbrella company have confirmed that I am entitled to SSP should I fall ill but that's as far as they're liability goes.

Can anyone help please?

Comment

Originally posted by Beany View Post
                    I'm thoroughly confused by all of this (I'm sure I'm not alone!)

As someone who works as a contractor in the public sector but inside IR35, what am I classed as for the purposes of getting financial assistance should I need it? Employed? Self-Employed? or something entirely different? It seems to me inside IR35 folk are neither one thing or another.

My umbrella company have confirmed that I am entitled to SSP should I fall ill but that's as far as they're liability goes.

Can anyone help please?
                    Nope. We are running round in circles. People are just arguing what they need to be to claim and forgetting the reality of the situation and we haven't come to a consensus yet. It will also vary from person to person depending on how much you pay yourself and what contracts you've written up with the co. Etc....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nope. We are running round in circles. People are just arguing what they need to be to claim and forgetting the reality of the situation and we haven't come to a consensus yet. It will also vary from person to person depending on how much you pay yourself and what contracts you've written up with the co. Etc....
                      Thank you for replying.

I contract through an umbrella so they do all my 'deducting' for me. So basically what I'm paid by the company is all 'earnings'. The umbrella just perform the PAYE bit and I get what's left.

When this is all over and we're 'out the other side' I think there could be a new industry striking up in disaster contingency 'cos the sure haven't got much at the moment!

Comment

Working...
                      X