• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella companies, IR35 and the Job Retention Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the SEISS; I'm talking about the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 June 2020, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat14 View Post
      That's the SEISS; I'm talking about the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
      3rd bold heading or so down covers CJRS
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

looking better for umbrellas

Will the coronavirus job retention scheme apply to umbrellas? • FCSA FCSA

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat14 View Post
          It also seems odd that I'm notionally eligible for this despite my benching last year obviously having nothing to do with coronavirus. I suppose I could argue that the current circumstances aren't exactly making it easier to get back off the bench, but still.
          From my reading, you will be eligible for 80% of your average salary for last year (or the equivalent month). What I've not seen stated explicitly yet is whether someone has to prove/show that their lack of income now is directly due to the Covid-19 or whether they can just furlough yourself (assuming you have an employment contract with your PSC), pay yourself 80% of your average and then claim that back.

As the employer, you should probably phone HMRC and ask.
          Last edited by Paralytic; 30 March 2020, 08:37.

Comment

clearest info yet that brollys will be covered

Job Retention Scheme and Statutory Self-Employed Pay: COVID-19 emergency measures and what they mean for users and suppliers of contractors, umbrella workers and other agency workers - Lexology

Comment

What's Lexology - is it a Government website - and what bit of an umbrella pay is covered - I suspect it's 80% of the none-profit share part so 80% of minimum wage,
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                What's Lexology - is it a Government website - and what bit of an umbrella pay is covered - I suspect it's 80% of the none-profit share part so 80% of minimum wage,
                This will be the crux of matter for Umbrella employees impacted by Covid.

A few Umbrella illustrative payslips I saw did not call any salary payment above the NMW as a "bonus", but rather things such as "Additional Taxable Salary". I think it would be unfair to say that should not be included, but we won't know for sure until someone goes through the process.

Otherwise, its 80% of 37.5 x £8.21
                Last edited by Paralytic; 31 March 2020, 06:52.

Comment

Reply from my MP

Originally posted by Beany View Post
                  Sorry can’t help at the moment as I’m in the same boat except I’m a uk resident. So I guess we’ll have to wait and see how this unfolds. My umbrella told me on Monday to look at the gov.uk website (helpful not!) but today I gave them another call and they were a bit more understanding. They told me that the rules of the job retention will be released soon and then they’d have a better idea of how it affects umbrellas and will let us know. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  Hi folks,

Below is the response from my MP. I am working through and umbrella company. Is it up to them to get my monies sorted out? PAYE I have no idea if I am. I have contated them but they have no answer for me as yet.
                  Any advice would be most appreciated!

================================================== ===========

If you are paid by PAYE you are able to get the umbrella company or employer to claim for you under the Job Retention Scheme.

If you are self employed there is the self employed reimbursement scheme.

You can find the info here: Claim for your employee’s wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK and COVID-19: support for businesses - GOV.UK

The FSB is also very good Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advice and guidance for small businesses and the self-employed | FSB, The Federation of Small Businesses

If you don’t fall into any of these categories than you can claim for Universal Credit.

That’s the schemes at the moment.

Good luck,

Ian Murray MP
                  Labour Member of Parliament for Edinburgh South
                  Constituency Office: 0131 662 4520
                  House of Commons: 0207 219 7064
                  Write: 31 Minto Street, Edinburgh, EH9 2BT

Comment

Working...
                  X