• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ipse Welcomes - government “historic lifeline to contractors”

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE has welcomed the government’s announcement today of a “historic lifeline” of financial support for the UK’s #selfemployed and has pledged to keep working with the government to extend measures to all #freelancers in need during the #Coronavirus outbreak.

IPSE - the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed on LinkedIn: #selfemployed #freelancers #Coronavirus | 13 comments

Comments are interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Limited Company Contractors - PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      IPSE has welcomed the government’s announcement today of a “historic lifeline” of financial support for the UK’s #selfemployed and has pledged to keep working with the government to extend measures to all #freelancers in need during the #Coronavirus outbreak.

IPSE - the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed on LinkedIn: #selfemployed #freelancers #Coronavirus | 13 comments

Comments are interesting

Oh - ouch.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

As I posted elsewhere

The deal is good (and should be 'welcomed') for those it helps - but those people aren't generally ipse members unless the demographic has shifted massively over the last year. There's a huge number of people left behind - those over 50K, those SE for < 1 year etc, and of course Ltd co contractors who sit between the two schemes. So a 'welcome' with strong caveats should have been the order of the day.

Like others, I didn't expect anything for 'us' - perhaps confirmation that we will be able to use the 80% of salary scheme if out of contract due to the virus would be as much as we could hope for - but as others have said, the point needs making very very strongly that we did not get help - because as sure as eggs is eggs this will be used to justify IR35 MkII a few months down the line.

I didn't see Andy's interview, but I doubt he deserves the hard time he's getting. For better or worse, IPSE decided several years back to represent all the self employed, and if members aren't happy with that, then feedback (polite) is for the board, not the staff.

This isn't about point scoring, and a huge number of people will have slept a lot easier last night knowing they're getting some help.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          As I posted elsewhere

The deal is good (and should be 'welcomed') for those it helps - but those people aren't generally ipse members unless the demographic has shifted massively over the last year. There's a huge number of people left behind - those over 50K, those SE for < 1 year etc, and of course Ltd co contractors who sit between the two schemes. So a 'welcome' with strong caveats should have been the order of the day.

Like others, I didn't expect anything for 'us' - perhaps confirmation that we will be able to use the 80% of salary scheme if out of contract due to the virus would be as much as we could hope for - but as others have said, the point needs making very very strongly that we did not get help - because as sure as eggs is eggs this will be used to justify IR35 MkII a few months down the line.

I didn't see Andy's interview, but I doubt he deserves the hard time he's getting. For better or worse, IPSE decided several years back to represent all the self employed, and if members aren't happy with that, then feedback (polite) is for the board, not the staff.

This isn't about point scoring, and a huge number of people will have slept a lot easier last night knowing they're getting some help.
          So many ipse members feel betrayed on TWITTER in the comments section also, and cancelling membership

Comment

Where does the quote "historic lifeline to contractors" from your subject title come from? I can't see that anywhere in the article.

I think this is a great deal for the self-employed but I had no expectation that yesterday's announcement would do anything for Ltd company contractors who are impacted by Covid-19.

I'd also question why anyone Ltd company contractor would feel the need to be a member of IPSE, a group that has really not represented them for a couple of years.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 27 March 2020, 07:52.

Comment

So many ipse members feel betrayed on TWITTER in the comments section also, and cancelling membership

People are scared and angry. These are scary times.

Comment

Who is their CEO?
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Where does the quote "historic lifeline to contractors" from your subject title come from? I can't see that anywhere in the article.
                  Look again it’s like 7 words in

Comment

Look again it’s like 7 words in
                    Where?

There's no mention of contractors. Its about the self-employed and freelancers, the people that IPSE represent.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 27 March 2020, 07:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X