Ipse Welcomes - government “historic lifeline to contractors” Ipse Welcomes - government “historic lifeline to contractors”
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 66
  1. #1

    Default Ipse Welcomes - government “historic lifeline to contractors”

    IPSE has welcomed the government’s announcement today of a “historic lifeline” of financial support for the UK’s #selfemployed and has pledged to keep working with the government to extend measures to all #freelancers in need during the #Coronavirus outbreak.


    IPSE - the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed on LinkedIn: #selfemployed #freelancers #Coronavirus | 13 comments

    Comments are interesting



    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  2. #2

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,496

    Default

    Limited Company Contractors - PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE.
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

  3. #3

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    IPSE has welcomed the government’s announcement today of a “historic lifeline” of financial support for the UK’s #selfemployed and has pledged to keep working with the government to extend measures to all #freelancers in need during the #Coronavirus outbreak.


    IPSE - the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed on LinkedIn: #selfemployed #freelancers #Coronavirus | 13 comments

    Comments are interesting



    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Oh - ouch.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  4. #4

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    26,173

    Default

    As I posted elsewhere

    The deal is good (and should be 'welcomed') for those it helps - but those people aren't generally ipse members unless the demographic has shifted massively over the last year. There's a huge number of people left behind - those over 50K, those SE for < 1 year etc, and of course Ltd co contractors who sit between the two schemes. So a 'welcome' with strong caveats should have been the order of the day.

    Like others, I didn't expect anything for 'us' - perhaps confirmation that we will be able to use the 80% of salary scheme if out of contract due to the virus would be as much as we could hope for - but as others have said, the point needs making very very strongly that we did not get help - because as sure as eggs is eggs this will be used to justify IR35 MkII a few months down the line.

    I didn't see Andy's interview, but I doubt he deserves the hard time he's getting. For better or worse, IPSE decided several years back to represent all the self employed, and if members aren't happy with that, then feedback (polite) is for the board, not the staff.

    This isn't about point scoring, and a huge number of people will have slept a lot easier last night knowing they're getting some help.

  5. #5

    Default Ipse Welcomes - government “historic lifeline to contractors”

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    As I posted elsewhere

    The deal is good (and should be 'welcomed') for those it helps - but those people aren't generally ipse members unless the demographic has shifted massively over the last year. There's a huge number of people left behind - those over 50K, those SE for < 1 year etc, and of course Ltd co contractors who sit between the two schemes. So a 'welcome' with strong caveats should have been the order of the day.

    Like others, I didn't expect anything for 'us' - perhaps confirmation that we will be able to use the 80% of salary scheme if out of contract due to the virus would be as much as we could hope for - but as others have said, the point needs making very very strongly that we did not get help - because as sure as eggs is eggs this will be used to justify IR35 MkII a few months down the line.

    I didn't see Andy's interview, but I doubt he deserves the hard time he's getting. For better or worse, IPSE decided several years back to represent all the self employed, and if members aren't happy with that, then feedback (polite) is for the board, not the staff.

    This isn't about point scoring, and a huge number of people will have slept a lot easier last night knowing they're getting some help.
    So many ipse members feel betrayed on TWITTER in the comments section also, and cancelling membership


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Where does the quote "historic lifeline to contractors" from your subject title come from? I can't see that anywhere in the article.

    I think this is a great deal for the self-employed but I had no expectation that yesterday's announcement would do anything for Ltd company contractors who are impacted by Covid-19.

    I'd also question why anyone Ltd company contractor would feel the need to be a member of IPSE, a group that has really not represented them for a couple of years.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 27th March 2020 at 07:52.

  7. #7

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    26,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    So many ipse members feel betrayed on TWITTER in the comments section also, and cancelling membership


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    People are scared and angry. These are scary times.

  8. #8

    Super poster

    Scruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leafy Surrey (Lahndahn Tahn)
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    Who is their CEO?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    Where does the quote "historic lifeline to contractors" from your subject title come from? I can't see that anywhere in the article.
    Look again it’s like 7 words in


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Look again it’s like 7 words in
    Where?

    IPSE has welcomed the government’s announcement today of a “historic lifeline” of financial support for the UK’s #selfemployed and has pledged to keep working with the government to extend measures to all #freelancers in need during the #Coronavirus outbreak.
    There's no mention of contractors. Its about the self-employed and freelancers, the people that IPSE represent.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 27th March 2020 at 07:58.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •