• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So many of you "furloughed"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Now I don't know if you are being serious or not here?

I will, if you like, but its been a few years....
    Absolutely serious - many have never been in this position before PC. They will have no idea where to start.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Might just be better linking to guides such as these.

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) – overview for contractors

And noting paragraphs like this one...

It's going to be interesting how you prove to some drone in a job centre that the money you've got stashed for your taxes isn't capital........
      That's easily solved, you just pay HMRC your tax bill early.
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:25.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Might just be better linking to guides such as these.

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) – overview for contractors

And noting paragraphs like this one...

It's going to be interesting how you prove to some drone in a job centre that the money you've got stashed for your taxes isn't capital........
        I would imagine many of us are going to be running out of cash sooner or later so the £16,000 isn't to be a huge issue...
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:25.

Comment

I'm confused why anyone would go for JSA, unless they don't qualify for furlough. Was that a joke?

JSA is there to help someone to find work whilst giving them basic support. Those who are unable to work simply because the government has told them they need to 'stay at home' shouldn't be using that facility IMO, that is what the covid packages are for. Its not helpful to those that really do need JSA.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            I'm confused why anyone would go for JSA, unless they don't qualify for furlough. Was that a joke?

JSA is there to help someone to find work whilst giving them basic support. Those who are unable to work simply because the government has told them they need to 'stay at home' shouldn't be using that facility IMO, that is what the covid packages are for. Its not helpful to those that really do need JSA.
            Have you not read my posts on this thread (I'm not even talking about other threads).

You can only be furloughed if there is likely to be work for you to return to in the future, which means that a lot of companies are not forloughing everyone as there is likely to be less work down the line.

And if you've recently changed job (i.e. you aren't on payroll and recorded in HMRC's systems on February 28th ) then you don't qualify for the furlough payments.

You also have a separate set of problems with umbrella companies who may not have the cash available to pay furlough payments (as you need to pay upfront and then claim back).

So in all those cases universal credit may be the only solution and if you are claiming UC you need to claim asap as they won't backdate claims.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

It's a long running argument from way back in 2012 (I think) when PC first mooted this idea. Ever since then he's championed the cause that £72 is worth it (cough). But anyway... in this current situation if people are eligible and it's their last resort then no issues investigating it and explaining the situation. No harm covering it factually whether we agree or not.

What would be infinitely better is a thread on what type of work is available and help people get those rather than educate the feckless how to sit on their arses and claim benefits. Seventy odd quid a week is better than nothing but jobs like delivery drivers or temping roles in customer services or helpdesk would be better all round. It sounds ridiculous but even ideas like getting a taxi licence so you can pop in and out are within the realms of possibility if things are that bad that seventy quid helps you out.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Absolutely serious - many have never been in this position before PC. They will have no idea where to start.
                OK no problem. Happy to report on my experiences in the past.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

And let's not forget all of those banking contractors who went permie, only to be made redundant a month later...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

It's a long running argument from way back in 2012 (I think) when PC first mooted this idea. Ever since then he's championed the cause that £72 is worth it (cough). But anyway... in this current situation if people are eligible and it's their last resort then no issues investigating it and explaining the situation. No harm covering it factually whether we agree or not.

What would be infinitely better is a thread on what type of work is available and help people get those rather than educate the feckless how to sit on their arses and claim benefits. Seventy odd quid a week is better than nothing but jobs like delivery drivers or temping roles in customer services or helpdesk would be better all round. It sounds ridiculous but even ideas like getting a taxi licence so you can pop in and out are within the realms of possibility if things are that bad that seventy quid helps you out.
                    £70 odd quid a week over 3 months is still probably enough to pay the mortgage for one month.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Quite.

Are you signing up for writing this then NLUK?

Comment

Working...
                      X