• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming JSA - my experience

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I think JSA is dead, it's UC and I don't think you can get anything if your other half is working.

I could be wrong, but we claimed UC for a very short time when I broke my ankle , moving back to the UK - I was out for 3 months, but basically we got very little.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Possibly but knowing people in JC's it's highly likely they'll forget or don't understand it themselves. By knowing you need to declare and conveniently not telling them is opening you to benefit fraud, particularly if anyone has read this thread it's been pointed out twice.

Not digging at you. Just pointing this out to anyone reading that's going to start down this path.

EDIT. One of your posts says they asked about company money, the next says they did?
      Maybe thats one way of looking at it. At the time I didnt know what was needed so I just went with the flow.....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Is JSA a thing these days or is it all part of UC?

Presumably you are not expected to look for work right now, or at least not much? I'd guess UC is basically just given out to those eligible without many checks.
        Rules used to be they'd leave you alone for 3 months I think.

To be honest, the JC people were fine. They realised it was a bit silly asking someone who earns loads to go and get a minimum wage job. They had plenty of candidates for those sort of things- if they could get them to do it of course.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          To start with, I've no experience of how this 80% thing works. BUT if you need to claim JSA as a limited company contractor this is what I did a few years ago. Obviously, rules MAY have changed a bit since then.

Few things to note:-

1. You can claim contribution-based JSA even if you're partner works if you've paid NI. For 6 months I think?
          Most of us here are on £8400/yr, so no NIC paid. Will this still work?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Rules used to be they'd leave you alone for 3 months I think.

To be honest, the JC people were fine. They realised it was a bit silly asking someone who earns loads to go and get a minimum wage job. They had plenty of candidates for those sort of things- if they could get them to do it of course.
            In my one stint on JSA it was like that and I also found them very helpful in person, as I had a job lined up in 3 months. However that was in 2002 and I've heard so many stories about sanction quotas, etc.

It seems like UC is being pretty lax now - not quite universal income but a lean in that direction - the amounts are low so why not?!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
              Most of us here are on £8400/yr, so no NIC paid. Will this still work?
              If you are above Lower Earnings limit (LEL), this counts towards benefits.

Rates and allowances: National Insurance contributions - GOV.UK

Comment

I just furloughed myself and accepted a perm job, double whammy.
                Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Hello

I'm applying for JSA now. It's asking me if I've been unemployed for the last 6 months.

Technically, I'm employed by my own LTD company and paying myself £790/month.

However, I don't have contract anymore. So my company doesn't receive money anymore.

So what should I write? Do I put myself as employed or unemployed?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
                    Hello

I'm applying for JSA now. It's asking me if I've been unemployed for the last 6 months.

Technically, I'm employed by my own LTD company and paying myself £790/month.

However, I don't have contract anymore. So my company doesn't receive money anymore.

So what should I write? Do I put myself as employed or unemployed?

Thank you
                    You're employed by your company who is paying you £790 a month. JSA \ PIP isnt about your co having no income.

You'll be disallowed JSA \ PIP if you have anything over about 50 quid a week coming in. You wont get JSA (Contributions based element) if you have an occupational pension paying over about 50 quid a week either.

Comment

My umbrella contract ended 30th Sept, I applied for JSA on 30th Oct. Got confirmation with a couple of days and first payment expected this week, seemed straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X