• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Company says no to furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This furlough scheme has been hastily thought out and is going to end up producing some massive winners and losers.

Comment

Originally posted by LiviHam View Post
      This decision leaves a dilemma however, since technically we are employed by the UC, so to claim UC or JSA we need either resign or be made redundant before any such claim can be made (I assume a claim could only be made after due notice periods is served). So do we hang on in the hope of a favourable outcome, sit it out as normal between contracts or resort to benefits (if any can be had) and perhaps lose out in the long run...?
      I'm in a similar should-I-stay-or-should-I-go-now position. I'd need my P45 to claim Universal Credit, but this would presumably close the door on any possible furlough claim.
      I emailed the FCSA earlier in the week to determine whether the underlying issues with the CJRS that have caused brollies to opt out are likely to be resolved anytime soon, but have not as yet received a response.

Comment

Originally posted by steveclv View Post
        Well after 2+ years of doing 'the right thing' and working inside IR35,

Steve
        Its a hard lesson to learn perhaps, but the only 'right thing', is the thing which benefits you the most. I think a lot of people lived in a fantasy world where taxes were for the greater good, and that when you needed them you'd be getting help too. Nope, its a bribe for the feckless to stop them burning things down. Otherwise known as benefits.
        Good luck fella.

Comment

article in the times

Coronavirus: agency workers fall through the cracks | Business | The Sunday Times

its affecting teachers so maybe something will get done now

Comment

Latest from FCSA:
            We need answers and we need them NOW, says FCSA chief executive Julia Kermode • FCSA FCSA

Comment

I'm in the same situation. I'm fairly new to contracting and have learnt quickly over the past couple of weeks that we dont get any help when things get tough.

Comment

Originally posted by HoraceGB View Post
                I'm in the same situation. I'm fairly new to contracting and have learnt quickly over the past couple of weeks that we dont get any help when things get tough.
                I'm afraid that this is one of the risks that contractors face.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I'm afraid that this is one of the risks that contractors face.
                  The state of things apparently is that the more tax you pay, the less benefits you get. I think this is wholly unhealthy construct of the fiscal system.
                  We desperately need an overhaul of the entire beast.

Comment

Time to press hard

I have been caught in exactly this position. Tried all ways to convince the UC and go between company who contracted me to Government client. And Government client from a ‘moral responsibility’ perspective. All 3 pointing at each other and shrugging shoulders. So, I have written to my MP. Suggest everyone in this position does the same. I will also be writing to client’s Minister asking if they believe this is in line with Government intent. Needless to say, the CEOs of both UC and go between. Let’s all ‘shout from the rooftops’! Nothing changes without action.

Comment

Anyone with an Umbrella (or know of any) that have agreed to participate in the CJRS? I've just seen on the Brolly forum that Paystream has apparently agreed to furlough their employees, albeit at minimum wage. Mine (Contractor Umbrella) has so far declined to participate but I'm curious as to how many are.

Comment

Working...
                      X